Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
BALLISTIC TIPS
32.69%
CORELOCK
67.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT

Old 10-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT

IM ON A FACT FINDING MISSION AND I AM IN THE "POLL" MODE THIS WEEK SO PLEASE INDULDGE AN OLE BOY FROM ALABAMA. I AM SHOOTING A 270 .... WOULD YOU SHOOT A BALLISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT ... MOST OF MY HUNTING IS IN ALABAMA AND TENNESSEE FOR WT DEER BUT I WILL ALSO BE TAKING THIS RIFLE TO CANADA TO HUT THE GIANT WT DEER ... TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AND WHY.

THANKS
DD
Old 10-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOCK

Docyou probably know more about it than I, but I have had less than desirable luck with the Ballistic tips. I was told that out of my A-Bolt 270WSM at close range that the high velocity would cause the bullet to disintegrate upon impact with bone. I thought I missed two deer last year( no blood found ) until my cousin found one rabit hunting a month later. I have switched to a federal accubond (140gr). I really wanted to try the new federal 130Nosler Partition but couldn't find it in time to zero in before the season.Anyway , good luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:55 AM

Um, I would shoot neither. The only rifle I've ever owned is a .270win.
The most accurate load I've ever shot out of my rifle is the Winchester BT, but I didn't care for the damage they done to the meat.

The CoreLokt, grouped the worst out of mine and dropped like a ton of bricks compared to the others.

You should pick up this months FIELD AND STREAM, it has a GREAT artle on all the newer hunting bullets. It shows cut-aways and what they look like after they are pulled out of the "block".

If I can remember right, the Winchester FailSafe and Barnes Tripple Shock were their pick for being the "best".

The Winchester AccuBond, which is what I am shooting in my .270win this year, is supposed to give you the same proformance of the Ballistic Tips, w/o the fragmentation. Its sorta a bonded ballistic tip.

Another that was high on the list, and one that I really like and will probably switch back to it, is the Hornady Interbond.

I live in SC, so we have the same size deer yall have in AL, which is very small. The deer up in Canada and the "deer states" of the US, are a lot bigger than ours, so I would stick to a bonded bullet.

Go to the store and pick up that magazine, it has some good stuff in it on what you want to know. It has a pic of a deer on i and something like "deer hunting 101".

Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken about a dozen of our large bodiedcanadian whitetails using the 100gr ballistic tip out of my 257wby and about two dozen using the 140gr ballistic tip out of my 7mmstws.Not one of these deer made it 50 yards after being shot.I use lung shots so other than a few ribs,very little meat is lost.However if you take shoulder shots,you will lose a fair bit of meat but then that is typical with all shoulder shots reguardless of the bullet used.The muzzle velocities out of my rifles is about 3500fps so it is well above the velocities produced with either a 270win or a 270wsm.As well the vast majority of these bullets exited.If the ballistic tips work well on our 300lb+ canadian bucks,they will work on any whitetailed deer anywhere.Of course proper shot placement is required with any bullet.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience I have found CoreLokts do not perform well in anything under .308 caliber. Ballistic Tips work very well for me and I haven't noticed the meat damage mentioned above. If you want the best of both worlds though, check out the 130 grain Sierra GameKing.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Stubblejumper, my shot placement was fine ( dead deer ). The problem was the lack of exit wound left me no way to track the deer through the extremely thick woods. I searched for blood in a pretty large area. Not finding any blood led me to believe I missed the deer. I know your going to say I shoulda aimed and/or hit him some where else, but I didn't. In this case and the other one last year, I feel the ballistic tip let me down. There are others that feel this way too. If all hunters were skilled enough to control shot placement on every deer ( assuming that deer never moved ), then every one would be hunting with 22-250. That's not the real world for most of us mere mortals that use larger calibers.

As far as velocities go. Your 7mmstws 140gr Ballistic Tipaccording to Winchester has roughly a little( 25fps ) more velocity than the 130gr Ballistc Tips i was using. Hardly as you put it ' well above the 270 WSM '

Old 10-30-2005, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bbbagman

Stubblejumper, my shot placement was fine ( dead deer ). The problem was the lack of exit wound left me no way to track the deer through the extremely thick woods. I searched for blood in a pretty large area. Not finding any blood led me to believe I missed the deer. I know your going to say I shoulda aimed and/or hit him some where else, but I didn't. In this case and the other one last year, I feel the ballistic tip let me down.

Since none of my deer made 50 yards after being shot no tracking was necessary,therefore an exit wound would have been no benefit at all even though the majority of my bullets did exit.You are judging a bullet based on a single deer while I am judging the bullet on the results of about three dozen deer.Which do you think is more credible?

As far as velocities go. Your 7mmstws 140gr Ballistic Tipaccording to Winchester has roughly a little( 25fps ) more velocity than the 130gr Ballistc Tips i was using. Hardly as you put it ' well above the 270 WSM
Winchester does not load my ammunition.I do and I have chronographed my loads at 3500 fps as I have previously stated.Whatvelocity does your chronograph show the 130gr ballistic tips coming out of your rifle at?If you are using factory winchester loads the posted velocity is 3275fps.Even if you are acheiving that in your rifle,which youwill never know without the use of a chronograph,that is still 225fps slower than the velocity that my loads produce in my rifles.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

If you are loading your own then you should say so in your orig. post as the gentleman who ask a question was asking about factory loaded ammo.

I bought that rifle last year and only shot two deer with it. Neither left blood behind. That'sall I needed to see to know that I didn't like the Ballistic Tips. The rest I shot were with a shotgun in the swamp all of which dropped in their tracks. Of course our NC deer aren't as big as the Canadian deer.

Anyway yours is bigger and better than mine. Do you feel better now?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are loading your own then you should say so in your orig. post as the gentleman who ask a question was asking about factory loaded ammo.
The original post asked about bullets, factory loadswere not mentionedin the post.You only assumed that he meant factory loads.I did specify my muzzle velocity in my original post.However you ignored that fact and incorrectlyassumed that I was using factory loads.

I bought that rifle last year and only shot two deer with it. Neither left blood behind
You stated that you only found one carcass.Thereforethere is no proofof where or even ifif you hit the other deer.You are only assuming(yet again)that you hit the second deer.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Whatever ......

The gentleman asked for our experiences with the rounds he listed. I gave him mine. It was obvious you attempted to call me out about the Ballistic Tips fragility at the higher velocities. When confronted with facts you then say you handload. Yeah right.

Go to the other posts here and see how many others feel the same as me on the BallisticTips. But i guess we all know people who know more than the rest of us combined.

Let me say what an honor it is to have you on this board with us mere mortals Stubbie.

With that I'm done with this thread.

Quick Reply: BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.