Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
BALLISTIC TIPS
32.69%
CORELOCK
67.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT

Old 10-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOCK

i would use the corelocts. that's what i'll be shooting in my 06 this year.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

The gentleman asked for our experiences with the rounds he listed. I gave him mine. It was obvious you attempted to call me out about the Ballistic Tips fragility at the higher velocities. When confronted with facts you then say you handload. Yeah right
I merely stated my experiences and pointed out that ballistic tips had worked well for me,even at velocities exceeding thosethat most cartridges, including the 270win and 270wsm,are capable of producing.I stated in my first post that the velocities out of my rifles was right around 3500fps and as you can see that first post of mine has not been edited.A person with as much supposedballistic knowledge as yourself should have realized that the only way to achieve 3500fps with 140gr bullets out of a 7mmstw is by handloading.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK GUYS ..NO NEED TO GET TESTY HERE .. I AM NO BALLISTIC ENGINEER BUT I DO APPRECIATE BOTH VIEWS .... I SHOOT FACTORY LOADS AND I SUPPOSE I DID NOT MAKE THAT CLEAR IN MY POST ...

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 10-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT

Try the Federal Premium 130 gr Sierra GameKing BTSP...My brother owns 2-270s, one for him, one for his son...they have killed 50-60 deer with this load...Almost always get a good exit wound...Its a good load in a .270.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

whats a ballistic tip??
Rem Corelok can kill anything; Can you buy them for handrolling yet?

Old 10-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

whats a ballistic tip??
Rem Corelok can kill anything; Can you buy them for handrolling yet?
The remington corlokt has been available to reloaders for many years and at very low prices I might add.As for rolling them,whatever floats your boat
Old 10-30-2005, 08:40 PM

i hate the core lokt bullet because the jacket tends to seperate from the bullet when it hits something hard. the ballistic tip can explode at close range on bone. If you want a bonded soft point bullet, go with these:Winchester Fail Safe, Nosler Partition(always a safe bet for anything), Hornady Interlock, Or Barnes X Bullet or Triple shock. For a polymer tipped round, stick with the bonded core bullets like the Nosler Accubond and hornady Interbond. Based on personal experience and seeing bullet effects in person on roughly75-85 deer, these are the bullets i can recommend to you.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:00 PM

I've been using factory core-locks since I've started hunting. As have my dad, 4 uncles, 3 cousins, and 3 family friends (all but 2 have been hunting 15 years more than I have). I've never had a problem with them expanding or not producting exit holes and none of them have either since I stared hunting with them. That's all they've used their whole lives, there's obviousley a reason for that. We hunt in WV so the same size deer as you roughly, most of our shots are within a hundred yards (with more than a handful of does taken in fields out to 200). Also we use 6 06's, 1 .270, a 30-30, and a .308, a .243, and a 7mm mag. Just the facts....use them how you wish

Chad
Old 10-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had absolutely no problems with Ballistic Tip bullet in a variety of chamberings and bullet weight to harvest upto deer sized game. In fact it is my favorite deer bullet. IMHO if your a rib shooter this bullet will not give you any worries! My experience mirrors that of other BT users...dead deer with very few yards travelled after the shot. I have made a couple of poor shots in my career with this bulletbut not one has led to a lost animal..thesewere notbullet failure but rather shooter failures!

I have said this anumber of times here and elsewhere, do your research pick the bullet that works for your situation (consider distance of shot, placement, game, construction or design, etc.). If you do this then you'll find more success in the field. Personally wouldn't consider the corelokt to be of any benefit over the NBT, I would also consider it a rib shooter bullet. If your a hunter who likes to break em down then go with a controlled expansion bullet such as the Nosler Partition, Speers Grand Slam orAccubond (or similar bonded polymer tipped bullets)...these are pretty much the best of both worlds, designed to open up but yet still retain weight for heavy sluggin' or penetration.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don't need a blood trail with Ballistic tips. They seldom move out of their tracks. I shot four mule deer with the 25-06 last year with 100 grain Ballistic trips. three went down where they stood and one went about 20 yards. I use them in everything.

Quick Reply: BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.