Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ? >

Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ?

Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ?

I traded for a Belgium made Browning 270win bolt action rifle and need a good scope. Tell me which one you would put on this type of rifle and why? I will be using it to hunt WT deer in the south and may take it to Canada ... Leuplod V3 3.5X10X50 or Zeiss Conguest 3x10x44 .... ??

Doc
Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ?

Well, I've owned 4 Zeiss Conquests and who knows how many Leupolds. I've had a chance to compare examples of both side by sidein the fieldwhere it counts. I've got a USAF resolution chart I use toaid inmy evaluations.Judging them solely on their optical abilities,the Zeiss scopes have been clear winners, especially in their ability to resolve details and also I have found them to be a little brighter when this mattersmost, at dawn and at dusk. I also think the Conquests Z-Plex reticle, which is etched in glass, is superior to the Leupold standard Duplex. It seems to be sharper and crisper looking and this is at least partially due to the fact that it's a little bit thicker.

From a reliability standpoint, I've have no problems with either brand, so they both get a passing grade on this.Ionce had to return a Conquest to Zeiss' service center because of an accident I had with a 4.5-14x44 (it got dropped) and they replaced it with a brand new one in a very timely manner. I was very pleased. I have no experience with Leupold's service, but it has a reputation as being top notch.

My personal favorite scope right now is the Conquest 3-9x40 and I think it would suit your needs just fine.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Having owned many leupold scopes and a few ziess scopes including the conquest,my choice would be the conquest as to my eyes they appear to be brighter with similar sized lenses.I personally will not have a 50mm scope because it must be mounted so high which effects proper cheek position on the stock, so I would choose the 3x9x40 conquest myself.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Conquest, no contest. Get off your moldy money and get a Zeiss Diavari VM/V...........
Old 10-27-2005, 02:58 PM

I have a VariXIII 3.5-10X50 on my slug gun and absolutely love it. It has never once let me down, even after shooting 1,000 rounds of 3" 12ga sabot slugs. Before the slug gun, it was on a 308. It is 8 years old, and still performs like new. Good luck Doc.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

I have used the 3.5X10 Conquest on my 7mm for the past couple of seasons and it held up to the harsh winters much better than the Leupold that preceded it. I thought the Leoupld was great till I put this one on and dealt with some bitter teperatures. It never fogged up on me once and I shot my deer last year at last light. I probably wouldn't have had the samebrightness with my old scope. My vote is for the Zeiss, you won't be disappointed.
JDinAB
Old 10-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I concur with the others. I have owned a number including the Vari X III. When it came time to add another scope to my arsenal I judged the VXIII 3.5x10x50 against the Conquest 3.5x10x44. I came home with 2 conquests (44 and 40mm)which have performed flawlessly. To my eye inmany directcomparisons between these 2 scopes the Zeiss got the nod b/c it was brighter,better resolution, Zplex Reticle, 1 - piece tube construction (I am sorry I still amof the mind set 1 is better than 3!!)and constant eye relief. I have found inusing it for a few years,it reallyshines in those low light times, no fog issues, easy power adjustment even with gloves on, POI holds and tracks true.

I thought you had a Conquest already? If so are you not pleased or just wanting to try the VXIII? Either are fine scopes, so I would let your eye do the picking.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

I own the 3.5 x 10 x 44 conquest and a leupy. I love both scopes and really don't think you would go wrong with either. I do believe that the ziess is a little sharper and is a hair better in low light.

If I had to buy another tomorrow, it would be the ziess.

[/align]
Old 10-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I thought you had a Conquest already? If so are you not pleased or just wanting to try the VXIII? Either are fine scopes, so I would let your eye do the picking.
SKEETER I DO HAVE ONE ON A THOMPSON ENCORE HOWEVER I HAVE TRADED FOR A OLD BELGIUMBROWNING BOLT ACTION 270win AND NEED A SCOPE TO PUT ON IT ...ONE THAT WILL COMPLIMENT THE RIFLE ... I LIKE THE ZEISS BUT WANTED SOME OBJECTIVE OPINIONS ..

DD

Old 10-27-2005, 09:04 PM

I own the exact Leupold you are talking about VXIII 3.5-10x50mm and I love it. I also have a ziess conquest 4.5-14x44mm on another gun. Personally they both have about the same clarity and I consider them about equal overall. However the gold ring of that Leupold sure makes a gun look nice.

Quick Reply: Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.