HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Solitary Man
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scopes .. Carl Zeiss or Leupold ?

Well, I've owned 4 Zeiss Conquests and who knows how many Leupolds. I've had a chance to compare examples of both side by sidein the fieldwhere it counts. I've got a USAF resolution chart I use toaid inmy evaluations.Judging them solely on their optical abilities,the Zeiss scopes have been clear winners, especially in their ability to resolve details and also I have found them to be a little brighter when this mattersmost, at dawn and at dusk. I also think the Conquests Z-Plex reticle, which is etched in glass, is superior to the Leupold standard Duplex. It seems to be sharper and crisper looking and this is at least partially due to the fact that it's a little bit thicker.

From a reliability standpoint, I've have no problems with either brand, so they both get a passing grade on this.Ionce had to return a Conquest to Zeiss' service center because of an accident I had with a 4.5-14x44 (it got dropped) and they replaced it with a brand new one in a very timely manner. I was very pleased. I have no experience with Leupold's service, but it has a reputation as being top notch.

My personal favorite scope right now is the Conquest 3-9x40 and I think it would suit your needs just fine.