Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
pre-rut and rut in central texas >

pre-rut and rut in central texas

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pre-rut and rut in central texas

Old 10-06-2002, 10:48 AM

Default pre-rut and rut in central texas

does anyone know the approximate time of year that the pre rut and rut occur in central texas? im goin to lake whitney thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, and monday, and i was wondering what sort of behavior i could expect to see. it would also help a little with my scouting thursday morning. thanks
Old 10-07-2002, 06:05 AM

Default RE: pre-rut and rut in central texas

huntman - I am an hour and a half south of whitney. I would expect the bucks there to breaking out of bachelor groups soon with pre rut beginning around the third week of October or so. Could be a little different there than here, but our bucks are still together at this point, but shouldn't last much longer. Good luck.

Later
Gone_Huntin
Old 10-07-2002, 09:29 AM

I spent this past weekend an hour south of Whitney, and saw deer on several occassions. I saw a forkhorn feeding with a doe on Friday afternoon and a larger buck feeding with two does on Sunday. Also saw a few groups of only doe, but no single bucks or bachelor groups.

From TP&W website: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/rut...chr1.htm#E11E6

Edwards Plateau
Conception dates for this region ranged from as early as October 9 to a late date of January 30. The Edwards Plateau, Texas' highest deer production region, was divided into three areas for the study. The eastern part had a peak breeding date of November 7. Peak breeding for the central portion was November 24, and the western area had a peak date of December 5. An average of 90 percent of the does were bred and the average number of fetuses found was 1.3 per doe. The majority (90%) of the fawns are born by June 14 in the eastern area, June 26 in the central area, and by July 13 in the western area.

Cross Timbers
Representing the north-central part of the state, conception dates in the Cross Timbers and Prairies were as early as October 13 and extended to December 17. In the northern portion of the region the average breeding date was November 15. The average breeding date in the southern part was November 17. Biologists recorded an average of 1.7 fetuses per doe and 95 percent of the females had been successfully bred. The majority (90%) of the fawns are born by June 15 in the northern area and by June 20 in the southern area.

Hope this helps, Good luck this weekend.

Old 10-07-2002, 04:51 PM

thanks guys.
knowing that the pre-rut behaviors arent happening now will help me with my scouting on thursday morning. i have a couple spots picked out, but im not sure where will be best. i scouted last about 2 weeks ago, so things might be a little different. anyone know where i can get an aerial photo of the area?