Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Any other deer hunter who can't sit still out there? >

Any other deer hunter who can't sit still out there?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any other deer hunter who can't sit still out there?

Old 10-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any other deer hunter who can't sit still out there?

Thats awesome Chuck. Talk about a great day in the woods. Hunting and reading the bible
Old 10-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Got that right
Old 10-27-2005, 06:26 PM

Geat time to get into the Word, while observing God's creation in iit's finest. Heaven on earth and you don't wonder if you wasted time if you don't see ant deer.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Three or so hours and my old bones start hurting. Arthritis is setting in and I just can't stand it as long as I would like.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Amen to that. Diffently not a wasted day . Some of my best experiences with God are in the deer stand. I hunt in a horrible WMA. This year I've been blessed and have been invited to hunt on private property. Last year though I planned to use my Primos 'Can' every 5 chapters of St. John. In this WMA I had never seen a buck so I wasn't expecting one. After3 chapters I did the call once. It was Jan.1st. I still had the scope cover on and was on chapter 5 when all of a sudden I heard something high stepping through the Florida swamp. I looked to my left and to my surprize I saw a deer. With my New Testament in one hand and my 30-30 Marlin in the other I slipped the Bible down my shirt . I noticed the cover on the scope and quickly but quietly ripped it off breakin gth ething. My heart was racing asI checked for antlers. I saw 2 spikes. The deer was getting away as the terrain was getting thicker all the time. Something in me said SHOOT! I squeezed the trigger and the animal died instantly. I thankd Jesus all the way to the deer.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm 51 and still haven't grown up yet and hope I never will. I used to be able to sit longer than I can now 3 hrs is about it for me and even then I sit I stand I sit I stand can't help it my bumm gets sore then my legs. and then after 3 hrs I get bored with the whole thing. I have anddo take some nice deer but I always wonder if the nicest of them all has slipped away cause I don't stay on my deer stand longer.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get bored in the stand sometimes too, but it seems like everytime I start to think about getting down, I hear a crack in the woods in the near distance and that will keep me attentive for another hour or so. I spent entire days in a deer stand doing this. Sometimes with favorable results, others without.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:04 AM

I agree it can be tough.On my lastMaine rifle hunt, I sat on stand from dark-to-dark for 5 days straight. In Illinois2 years ago on a bow hunt, same thing. Firstly, you HAVE to have confidence in your area, even if youdon't see a deer for a day or 2and secondly you mustbe warm and comfortable. After each hour on stand, I reward myself with an energy snack (mix of raisins and unsalted mixed nuts), some other energy snack and/or hot chicken broth from a thermos. On the Maine hunt, I didn't have any luck.For the week I saw 3 does, 1 pretty decent 6 point buck (passed), 2 moose and a coyote (no shot).In Illinois, I saw well over 50 deer and passed on2 nice 2-1/2 year old bucks (both 8 pt inside-the ears racks)and 5 or 6 1-1/2 year old bucks (holding out for a mature buck) and again went home empty handed. I don't consider either of these hunts as unsuccessful. I was on vacation, the phone wasn't ringing, I didn't have to answer to anybody and I was doing something I truly love. I do find my mind will wander at times but once you have had some success using this method, it does get easier.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago when hunting Maine and before treestands were popular, I would actually sit high in a big pine tree. I was very successful in tagging. Since those days of yesteryear, I now either use my lock-on or my climber in both Maine and NH and will sit from dark 'til dark. Sure there are times when it gets rough, especially when the weather doesn't cooperate. I love watching the woods from 20 feet and I continue to tell myself that the longer I stay the better my odds 'cause sooner or later that big old bruiser will show himself and never know I am watching his every move. Any yes, I'm an old far* and now hunt not only with my sons but also two grandsons.

I think my style, although successful even for New England, may be my biggest fault. I am stubborn to move. A friend suggested I try the "three sit" strategy, with each "sit" being 1/2 day hunt. He says to move after three sits to a different location if I don't see deer. It needs only be a few hundred yards or even much further. I guess the idea is to relocate with the hopes of seeing more deer. I just might try his suggestion but then again, like I said I can be real stubborn...

Good Luck to all this season......Jimmy
Old 10-28-2005, 09:52 AM

If I am hunting a good area and I start to get bored sitting I tell myself one thing, if I haven't seen anything yet its because they are coming and not already gone. Did that make sense?

Quick Reply: Any other deer hunter who can't sit still out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.