Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hornady SST (copy from gun forum) >

Hornady SST (copy from gun forum)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hornady SST (copy from gun forum)

Old 10-20-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Hornady SST (copy from gun forum)

Thought that maybe someone in here could give me some advice too

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the SSTs on deer sized game. Right now I use core-lock factory loads (i'm thinkin about having my future father-in-law make up some hand loads for me) Are the SSTs a rapid expansion bullet a high penetration bullet or somewhere in between. I'm from West Virginia so a lot of my shot are close up...but then when you get in a field they can be 200-250 yards. Also do you think the boat tails make a big difference. Thanks

Shep

by the way, i'm shooting a 7mm-08 (and possibly start loading my 06 also)
Old 10-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hornady SST (copy from gun forum)

The SST are Hornady's answer to the Nosler Ballistic Tip. My experience is they behave very much a like however in a one situation theSSTproved more devasting than the NBT in terms of damage. They are a rapid expansion bullet but should give you the penetration required for the likes of deer sized game. In the 7mm 08 even closer distance shots they should work just fine, just keep em in the ribs. At distances approaching the 200 or farther they excel, expanding well and being boattailed with a higher BC will be less affected by wind drift, etc.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

personally i don't see the point in buying high priced specialized bullets for moderately close range. if you're takeing shots only out to about 200 yards you would get the same performance with the corelocts as with the ssts and will save you a good bit of money. i thought about using accutips in my 06 but don't really see the point just for deer. just my $.02.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill be getting them for my muzzleloader. They make them for shotguns now too. Cant decide if i want to give up the lightfields for them or not.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the SST's! They are 1/2 the price of Nosler BT's and they preform execelent on deer...
Old 10-22-2005, 08:00 AM

Shep,
I'm loading them in my browning 7mm-08 micro hunter this year for deer season. They seem to shoot pretty well so far. I live in WV also and have the same set up as far as shots with all of our small valleys and overgrown areas between farmland. Then the field shots also. I'll let you know what my results are if I get a deer with them.