Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is a good shotgun scope to get??? >

What is a good shotgun scope to get???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is a good shotgun scope to get???

Old 10-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is a good shotgun scope to get???

I can afford a nicer one. Let me look at the Leopolds and see what they have in variable. I noticed that the 1.5 x 4x type scopes only seem to come in 32 mm objective, and I was hoping for 40 to maximize light.

Thanks for all the information!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:19 AM

You don't need the bigger objective, so they don't waste the money putting them on the lower power scopes. Your eye can only utilize so much light, anything more is a waste. I can see at night with my Trophy as long as there is some ambient light.

Paul
Old 10-17-2005, 12:04 PM

DougMD, I would recommend the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 3x9x40 with the extended eye relief. The eye relief is about 6 inches so you won't have to worry about recoil as much. I have one on my Encore slug barrel and love it. I also have the Banner 3x9x40 with 3" of eye relief on my 209x50 barrel. If you watch the ads, Bass Pro has them on sale sometimes for around $90 and they are right down the road from you.

As a side note, I also own 2 Leupolds, 2 Simmons and a Bushnell Elite. Under 150 yards, I really cannot say that these higher priced scopes offer any advantages over the Banner scopes.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:04 PM

Don't know why it posted twice. [&:]
Old 10-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy just recommended the Bushnell Elite 3200, 3x9x40 riflescope with RainGuard. He says it is brighter than the Nikon Monarch, cost at least $100 less and won't fog or anything. He also doesn't dial it up above 5x but would rather have that than fixed too.

I don't mind paying $200 for a scope that won't screw me up in the rain/wet and is even morebright than the Monarch in low light.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:26 PM

The Elite is a very nice scope. I bet they go on sale soon. BPS has had them on sale the last two years before gun season in Md. The Rain Guard is a nice feature especially since it has rained or snowed on opening day the last three years. The only drawback is I don't believe the eye relief is very long on those. I have never shot a slug gun with a cantilever mount so I don't know how far forward it sits.

I have never understood why most people will drop $300+ to put a scope on the rifle but buy the cheapest junk they can find for a shotgun or ML. Not talking about you DougMD, just people in general. The Banners ARE inexpensive, but I wouldn't call them CHEAP. (just a CYA)
Old 10-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I might just wait then. I'm in no hurry really. I just like to get stuff done when it's on my mind and I have the time, but can wait to see if they go on sale. They have them listed at BassPro for $199 on the site NOT ON SALE, but the guy there says they are $229. So the lady at the place told me to print off the site price and they will honor it.

BTW, I notice you live nearby. I have a brother who lives even closer to where you are (Elkridge). He coaches hockey at Mount Hebron.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:47 PM

BPS will honor the web price. Just bring in a print out. Also, if you get a sale add from Cabelas or Dick's, they will match that price. I'm in that store so much I know most of the people there on a first name basis. If you want to talk scopes, ask for Tim, Scott or Pete. They're all good guys.

I grew up in Columbia and went to Howard High. Where do you hunt?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

We grew up in PG County and went to DeMatha. Had to move away from there though. I wasn't bringing up a family in what was once a nice place to live, but morphed intoacrime ridden area as DC expanded into it.

I hunt at Fort Meade (North Tract), and at my 120 acres in West Virginia. I had a cabin shell builtthere two years ago and have been working to finish the inside, with some help fromfriends andsome nice guys that I met through thisforum.

How about yourself, where do you hunt?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:48 PM

The last few years I have been hunting some public land in Carrol County called Slacks, Raincliff and Woodbrook. I just started hunting Ft. Meade this year. I have gone out to D and want to try P. Will be going to D this Friday. I am going to try to get on Schaeffer's farm this Saturday. I also have a friend with 11 acres in Woodbine. It is surrounded by farm and large plots. We have taken some really nice 8 pointers out of there the last couple of years.

Are you hunting this weekend?

I wanted to buy some land in WV but the wife said no. [:@] I found a couple of nice plots that were around $800-1000/acre. I wanted 100+ acres but she only wanted to spend about 50K so I dropped it. You are lucky to have that.

Quick Reply: What is a good shotgun scope to get???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.