HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What is a good shotgun scope to get??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/116965-what-good-shotgun-scope-get.html)

DougMD 10-16-2005 10:57 AM

What is a good shotgun scope to get???

I have a cheapie tasco on mine, and want one with good zoom and low light performance, but don't want to spend $300. What about a 3x9 Nikon ProStaff? They're about $150, half the price of the Monarch. I want 40mm to get good light in low light conditions, and prefer being able to dial them in with a variable instead of a fixed scope...

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Champlain Islander 10-16-2005 11:06 AM

RE: What is a good shotgun scope to get???

I have a Leopold 1x4 shotgun scope on my Ithica 37 deerslayer. It isreal nice, lightand compact too.

Paul L Mohr 10-16-2005 11:32 AM

I like the bushnell trophy's in lower powers, but they don't offer a bunch of eye relieve. If you are using a cantilever mount or something you might want something with a bit more eye releif. Like an actual shotgun type scope.

I would say it really depends on your budget. I wouldn't go too cheap on a shotgun though because of the recoil factor. Also you normally use them in pretty crappy weather. Cheap optics tend to not withstand recoil and harsh conditions very well. Stay above 100 bucks and I think you will be ok though.

Paul

DougMD 10-16-2005 11:58 AM

Thanks. The shotgun isa Mossberg 500.

Paul L Mohr 10-16-2005 12:26 PM

What are you using it for and with what barrel? I didn't have very good luck with the reciever mount and a scope. I know they are drilled and tapped for mounts, but it does not work that well with a barrel that is not pinned to the reciever. And with a cantilever you need something with some eye relief or mounts that extend the scope back.

I would stick with lower powers as well. This will give you more leeway with eye releif and lower power scopes with good coatings work much better in low light. Plus they are faster when hunting deer sized game.

Paul

DougMD 10-16-2005 02:38 PM

Thanks! I am using it for deer hunting and have a rifled barrel on it. It's actually a Mossberg 10564 or something, because it came with exchangeable barrels, but I have the rifled barrel on there permanently. As with my 2x7 Nikon Monarch on my Encore muzzleloader, I like to keep it on low power but have the option to dial it up. I just don't want to pay the $300 plus if I can get a good quality variable for less.

TomFromTheShade 10-16-2005 06:05 PM

I really like the Leupold that I have on my 870. I have the 2-7 shotgun scope, with the heavy duplex reticle. I think I paid about 179 for it, but I cant be 100% sure.

A.D.D. BOY 10-16-2005 06:55 PM

Bushnell Banner 3-9X40. Get the one with the 4 inch eye relief. Its a good muzzle loader scope so it would be excellent for a shotgun. Im gettin one for my muzzy. Ask Cayugad about them he swears up and down about them. Hes always in the muzzy section.

DougMD 10-17-2005 06:18 AM

Hey Paul, right now my scope is mounted on the receiver and my rifled scope is screwed onto the receiver. I won't be taking it off, so am I ok since it will stay seated as it is now? Also, you suggest a fixed scope rather than a variable? How about a variable SET at 4x or something?

Thanks for any help you can give!!!!

Paul L Mohr 10-17-2005 10:42 AM

If your barrel is pinned or fixed to the reciever you should be ok. Shotguns like the 500's and Rem 870's have a removable barrel. As long as you never take the barrel off you can be alright. But if you remove the barrel to put a different one on or to clean it it can throw your zero off.

I don't really have a preferance for fixed or variable. Other than a fixed 2 or 4 power can be more rugged simply because there is less to go wrong. However fixed scopes are gettting harder to find.

If you are using the reciever mount I would suggest looking at a bushnell trophy scope. They are pretty decent scopes for the money. I have the 1.75-4x32 with the circle X recticle. I have a buddy that has one in 3-9 power with a finer crosshair. He seems to like it. The only problem is he has the cantilever barrel and he has to inch forward to get the proper eye releif out of it. We may put extension rings on it next year.

If you could afford it and could get a leupold for $180 I would go for it. That is better scope than a bushnell trophy for sure. The excellent service would almost make up for the price difference if you were to ever have any trouble with it. Not to mention the optics would be a bit better and I think the cross hairs are etched into the glass vrs being suspended wires that could break or come loose.

I am also pretty fond of the cabela's brand scopes.

You really just need to go look thru some and see what looks good to you for the money. If it were me I would not put a 50-70 dollar range scope on a shotgun you were using in bad weather. It might work great, then again it might not. It's sort of a crap shoot with those kinds of scopes. But if you don't have a choice you don't have a choice. I have used them with no problems, and then had others that were frustrating. There is nothing like pulling the rifle up on a cold wet day to have the scope fog over on you while your aiming at a nice deer. Or having accuracy problems that you can't correct.

Paul