Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Are we Losing our Young Hunters? >

Are we Losing our Young Hunters?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are we Losing our Young Hunters?

Old 10-07-2005, 09:28 AM

Default RE: Are we Losing our Young Hunters?

I know exactly what you all mean. I think another problem is hunting age, mayb not in all states but here in NY. I am just one of those kids who loves hunting so it didnt matter to me how long I had to wait, i just went along with my dad. The age to hunt in NY is 16!!!!!! By the age of 16 a kid is a sophomore in high school has all his friends, prob a gf and if hasnt been introduced to hunting prob couldnt care less about it. It needs to be instilled in them before the teenage rebel years, back when they are kids and all they want to do is be like their dad u know....you gotta get them into it real young, but some hunting restrictions are preventing this. The other big reason I think we are loosing hunters is because its no longer acceptable. I live on Long Island, NY and here its all about your abercrombie clothes, and your northface jackets and all of that...hutning just isnt cool anymore. I have lived here all of my life and I have met maybe 3 kids who sorta hunt sometimes, hunters just dont exist around here, and everytime i invite one to intorduce them and bring them with me on a hunt their parents wont let them or some BS like that. I have to say I have had some luck with my girlfriend haha i brought her shooting and now she wants to do it more and she plans to come on a deer hunt with me this november....maybe she'll get hooked. The last reason is because kids these days are just plain lazy and the comp and instant messenger and tv rules their lives. For me when im watchin tv im watchin hunting on TOH or OLN, but i guess im a southern boy living in a northern state lol......well thats just my take on it...im 19
Old 10-07-2005, 02:41 PM

You are definetly not losing me.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

i'm 13 and have been hunting since i was 5 as far as i can remember.
But i agree the majority of kids are just to into video games and computers but thats what the technological (i have a really big vocabulary) companys want to do. but yes i think that we're losing the majority of kids that hunt do to rising cost and single mothers that don't hunt.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 12 and just took my hunters safety course last november. my score was 3rd in the class behind two vetern hunters, my dad and his friend. i admit i play on the computer games and ps2 but ya know what, a majority of my games are hunting games! i havent took a deer yet but i am stuck to this sport! you'll never lose me or my future family!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

For most of you that live to hunt I don't understand why you have not or don't plan to buy land. Nothing raises in value like land ,you can hunt it build ponds & fish it & still have something to leave them.

You don't need a new switchback or a pickup ,save your money and buy land!

You will leave them nothing better!!
not everyone can afford to buy land.around where i hunt, there was 140 acres of land with 90 acresbeing cultivated and 50 acresbeing pasture land. it has deer, hogs, dove, quial and turkey on it or near it. the asking price was $2000 an acre. sorry, not in this life time.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:47 AM

i am 16 and u not losing me and where i live u not gonna lose many others 65% of my whole county probably hunts its a big thing at my school to wait all summer then dove season finally comes in and then u dove hunt intill bow season comes in and then and u blackpowder season comes in and u hunt then till dogs season when that goes out i rabbit hunt or squirell hunt and when all that goes out i crow hunt or something i love to hunting i always doing something hunting on my free time
Old 10-27-2005, 11:45 AM

I have to say, we may be losing them, but a young girl in MD definately sparked a bit of interest in the last week... She shot the FIRST black bear of the season. AT 8 YEARS OLD!
About two and a half years ago, I made the decision to start hunting because my son wanted to do it - i can't say no to anything that will keep him away from that stupid playstation.
We love it - and i tell you what he is probably more responsible about his firearms than some of the grown men i have seen in the woods... He amazes me everytime we are in the woods... Just last weekend, he was walking along the other side of the rivene from me and he came to a VERY LARGE log, he actually uncapped his ML placed it on the other side and THEN climbed over the log... I was so proud!
My son is 12 and my ex fiance (who helped get us into hunting) has three small children, the three year old is being prepared already - learning safety and such.

My child will learn more from me in the woods in 2 hours than a whole day with his playstation!

Good luck to everyone this season!
Old 10-27-2005, 11:56 AM

Im 15 and havnt been in the woods since ive gotten my first deer. No one is putting forth an effort to get me hunting. My dad passed and he was who got me into it and i went with my uncle only one time... I really love the outdoors though.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 PM

check into the national wild turkey federation in your area for JAKES... they have tons of programs for kids... im sure someone would be willing to take you out now and then.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:15 PM

Im a member of JAKES and a local range. I will probably go this year. my whole family hasnt been toghth since what hppened to my father and now everyones talkin and stuff so it should be good. I will go.

Quick Reply: Are we Losing our Young Hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.