Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

GLASSING or TARGETTING

Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default GLASSING or TARGETTING

Who is out in the field using a loaded gun with a scope to check out an area....and .calling it glassing....when in reality when you look thru a scope you are AIMING./TARGETTING.. LETS GET SOME BINOCULARS.!!!! Theres nothing like looking thru binoculars/GLASSING and see a hunter who is AIMING a scoped gun your way... sometimes when he has binocs around his neck......more reason for the ORANGE...NO?

I know there are some folks who are guilty of this and some folks who have been the target......Oh its funny for the scoper....but its hell on the targetted. You are pinned down and afraid to move cause some ass has you in his crosshairs and HOPEFULLY doesnt know it..Lets be safe. .Huh!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: GLASSING or TARGETTING

I prefer to call the practise of glassing with a riflescope mounted on a rifle stupidity.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Been there...seen that. It definitely is a scary thing to see another hunter with a rifle aimed your way. Binoculars aren't that expensive and are generally a bit lighter and easier to use.....
Old 09-23-2005, 09:08 AM

I don't hunt any where that I am that close to another person with a gun. Besides if I can't see it with my eyes I probably can't hit it. The only thing I use optics for is to maybe count the points. There is no where that I hunt where you can see more than 150 yards. I don't have any trouble telling the difference between a deer and human at those ranges.

Maybe if I hunted out west it would be different. I have binocs in my deer blind but they are cheap wally world ones and I seldom use them. I usually use them to look at birds or tree rats. If I see a deer I use my scope because if it is acceptable I don't want to risk switching from the binoculars to the gun when they are that close.

Paul
Old 09-23-2005, 09:14 AM

Binocs are not that expensive? Cheap crappy ones aren't, but they are not worth taking in the field. Decent ones are well over a few hundred dollars. That is pretty expensive to me.

I will note that I agree and don't advocate "glassing" with a loaded weapon willy nilly looking for things. I identify the target first and then take a closer look with my scope.

Paul
Old 09-23-2005, 10:56 AM

I always carry cheap binocs in the truck, but never really to the field, if i can't see it good enough, i dont shoot.

a while back at bass pro a guy was checking a rifle out and actually used me as his 'target' at about 20 feet. with his young son standing there watching him, too.[:@]
Old 09-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll use binoculars to glass or check things out that I can't identify. If I see a deer and want to get a better look, I will use my scope. We don't have time in the woods to switch from bionoculars to rifle. That's only if the target is already confirmed as a deer. I've seen good binoculars for over $1000.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I identify the target first and then take a closer look with my scope.

Paul
I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE. IF I CAN'T SEE IT WITH MY OWN EYES THEN THERE IS NO USE THROWING THE RIFLE UP AND LOOKING THROUGH IT.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I also have to agree with what has been said!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the financially challenged fellers....wallyworld...Bushnell 16x32 $30
Simmons REDLINE 10x50 $25 I dont want to hear no damn excuses!!

these binocs are inexpensive ..but you can see me.That is my point...dont cloud it with nonsense! Binoculars give you a fuller field of vision using both eyes and are more accurate than a scope and dont argue about it.

What is cheap is the attitude toward hunter civility and safety...I dont have time to pick up my binocs....I was on posted property...I used my eyes first...I thought it was a deer.... .and so on.

Just imagine a hunter scoping you ...but cant make you out because you are wearing the good camo..He convinces himself ..thats gotta be a deer..yeah, I can make out a horn, ear ...HUNTER FIRES....your dead.......Do you think thats .................................
OK?.

Hell there have been times when I swore to GOD thats a deer only to get real close and see its some tree/grass structures....wanting to see a deer can almost hypnotize you...Its like part of the fever.Your mind plays tricks on ya! Just keep these ideas in your head dont argue with these common sense points !

It will only let other hunters know howRECKLESS you are

AND FOR ALL US.....WHEN IS THE LAST TIME WE HAD OUR EYES CHECKED.......see.. I though it was a long time ago
we owe it to each other....your hunting brother... HEEZE

Quick Reply: GLASSING or TARGETTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.