Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS? >

DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS?

Old 10-06-2002, 04:02 AM

Default RE: DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS?

was hunting on my uncle's property and had set up a stand, the next morning we got out there and on the way to my stand my flash light quit so i figured i knew were my way well got turned around and decided to just sit by a tree until it got a lil lite out, I fell asleep when i woke it was about 9:30 am well into mornin and when i looked around low and behold the tree with my stand was right across from where i was sitting,needless to say when i got back to the truck i told everyone i didn't see a thing
Old 10-06-2002, 09:03 AM

I was in my tree stand when the doe came in to range. The gun was resting of the edge of the wall of the deer watch and I used it as a brace when firing. After the BANG I heard my clip fall to the ground as apparently the gun was resting on the clip and the clip was not locked in. Sadly, and foolishly, I had no other ammunition with me as I was hunting only a few hundred yards from my car and thought I'd never need more ammo. The deer stood there just looking around,not even moving. Finally it backed off and lay down. Plenty of second shots were available if only I had a cartridge for my .270. I started to slowly get down but the deer would have none of it and she was off. I looked hard that night and the next day but no blood or hair. To this day I cringe about the incident.

Old 10-06-2002, 09:31 PM

Crowpecker, thanks for the reply. I did`nt like to admit i was dumb enough to do that--letting my gun go off by accident, mostly because i was always prideful on being so careful. I guess it goes to show even when we think were careful maybe we are`nt. I really thought about not going hunting agin, i sure did`nt want to ever hurt someone. But i decided to keep hunting, only to be darn sure i was more careful than before and to always recheck everything. I hate to hear about you being shot ,i hope it did`nt hurt you too bad, but understand you must be frightened to hear shots near you in the woods now. I hope you can eventually overcome that fear and be able to fully enjoy the hunt agin some day . Good luck and safe hunting, Annie.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

I've done more stupid things than I can remember. The worst I've done is drove an hour and a half to hunt and left my bow at home. Yes, I know...I'm a dumbass.

Old 10-07-2002, 12:51 PM

I got a funny one, but its not about me.
We were sitting around camp after a day of deer hunting and one of the guys had to go get rid of that mornings breakfast. He has had surgery on both his knees and can't squat (and leaning on a cactus is not an option either) so he grabs a shovel, digs a hole in the ground and sits over the hole.
So everyone else is sitting around BS'ing and we hear him scream and come running from behind some bushes pants still around his ankles. Apparrently, while sitting on the ground a giant Tarantula ran right across his legs.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Spike

Annie, no problem. I'm glad to see you're still hunting. I know as well as anyone that accidents happen, I just never gave it much thought that I'd ever be on the receiving end until last yr. I hunted over 30 yrs without incident and all it takes is to have what happened to me, spoil everything. The slug is still in my shoulder, laying right on top of my lung, near the backside and they can't take it out because of possible nerve damage to my arm. Everyone makes mistakes. Like I said, it's ok as long as you learn from them. I think you've learned your lesson well and would be what I would call a seasoned and safe hunter. Good luck this year and hope you bag the buck of your dreams.

Vinny

Old 10-07-2002, 03:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-07-2002, 05:29 PM

This just happened to me a couple weeks ago. My dad and I were riding my 4 wheeler 3 miles back to our hunting spot. A tree had fallen down on the trail so I decided to climb the bank on the side of the trail. I hit it in 2nd gear with my dad and our gear on with me. I was almost to the top when he told me to "gas it." So I did and it wheelied straight up and we almost went back down the bank. I managed to get it on all 4 wheels but in doing so I hit my chin on the handlebars and bit my tounge and smashed my teeth together. My dad told me it was good that I brought tiolet paper along.lol. Even with the pain I couldn't stop laughing.

Old 10-08-2002, 03:19 AM

The funnist/worst thing that I did that was absolutely stupid. Three years ago I replaced my sights on my bow in the early part of the summer. Well I took the bow out every day and shot at least 30 times per day until I was sure that I could hit the little dot on the paper plates I as using as targets. About 5 weeks before the season started I tuned my broadheads up, and had them hitting the same spot every time(had refletch several arrows and retune them). Opening day came and I had gotten a late start, just coming home from work getting ready and all. Got into the woods after daybreak was walking to the spot were I was going to hunt and saw a magnifiant doe walk out and stop broadside to me, 15 yds away. I froze, she did'nt see me. Great I pull the string back settling the 20yd pin just above her right shoulder, I release, the arrow goes about five foot over her back and clatters through the trees. What I forgot to do was turn the sites back around after I took the bow from the case. They are Pse Nova 3 pin dovetail sights.

Misplaced Buckeye
Old 10-08-2002, 03:20 PM

My dumbest thing was more silly childhood exuberance than anything else. When I was 13 or 14 I was hunting squirrel and rabbit with my Dad and uncle. We were breaking for lunch and driving down the old logging road from camp when we spot two squirrels chasing each other like they do, over in a small patch of trees. I bailed out of the truck, grabbed my twenty gauge and bagged one of the squirrels. I hopped the fence with all the energy and excitement of a 14 year old and took off to collect my prize. You would have thought it was a 12 point buck! Well, about ten strides into the field I was knee deep in mud and muck. As I tried to get unstuck I realized my boots had quit following me somewhere around stride number eight. My dad and uncle were out of the truck by now and were laughing so hard they actually had to sit down against the truck. I’m still hearing about that incident 22 years later. If I had the money and foreknowledge then, I would have had that dang squirrel mounted.

-Brad
Eastern Nebraska Bowhunter

Quick Reply: DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.