Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 is there such a thing as too much orange? >

is there such a thing as too much orange?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

is there such a thing as too much orange?

Old 09-21-2005, 09:58 PM

Default RE: is there such a thing as too much orange?

I live in Saskatchewan,Canada and during bow and muzzleloader season we can wear camo but when rifle season comes to its full orange or full white. And I will tell you from expirencethat weather you wear camo white or orange it doesn't make a difference I have had deer look directly at me while I was in my orange and white and not be able to pick me up at 20yrdsuntil I moved. That is why IMO realtree and all that other camo is way over rated, a guy could wear a plaid shirt and have the exact same luck as the guy wearing the expensive camo(not opinion proven fact).
Old 09-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto what snowman69 said...being I hail from the samearea and our regs are during any rifle seasonhunters must wear solid colours consisting of orange, white, yellow or red I have found no ill effects to wearing this dress. More importantly is wind direction,backing or cover and keeping movements to a minimium. This past week I had several elk and deer within spitting distance of my solid orange suit. Wear whatever you like/comfortable/own, just pay attention to your surroundings and make sure you become part of it vs stick out like a sore thumb!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Typical Buck

if you really want to keep wearing the snow suit, but want to conceal a bit, just buy one of those mesh type camo bug suits.....I got a good buy on a set off of ebay......it just goes over your clothes...It doesnt provide any extra warmth, but it really breaks up your outline....It is one of those 3-d ones....real cool.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

i think a simple orange vest does the trick.. i believe in just enough orange goet you by. but if your hunting on public land where you know a lot of people are hunting then you might want to wear a large amiount of orange.. i know i would..
Old 09-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

guy could wear a plaid shirt and have the exact same luck as the guy wearing the expensive camo

Old 09-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think color makes any difference when it comes to the deer. Movement is the big killer! Any solid color will make your outline more visible but if you sit still they can't see you.... This is just my opinion from what I've seen in the field!!! Good luck!!
Old 09-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I gun hunt public land I wear all orange!!!!! I love life!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

gree when ur hunting a major public hunting area. where u know a lot of people are hunting.. you have to wear alot of orange.. you dont know what kind of moron hunter can come in and shoots anything that moves
Old 09-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

is there such a thing as too much visibility....Its not because the deer are shooting...Is there such a thing as a little dead?? Permission doesnt guarantee NO TRESPASS..accidental or intentional.. If everybody was in orange we all could be seen...And thats not a BAD THING

And now for something completely different.....How many of you will admit to using a scope with loaded gun to GLASS....Even when you have binocs? BE HONEST now. Hey thats a good thread!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:10 AM

It is a proven fact that deer are color blind. They don't see color, But they do see outlines. A plain orange shirt with no pattern at all will be more detectable than say a flannel shirt that had some pattern. So if two guys went into the woods. One wearing solid orange and the other wearing a flannel shirt.The guy with the flannel shirt should be able to get closer than the guy with the orange shirt, But if it where me out there i would still were the orange shirt just because were i hunt during the rifle season bullits fly every were. Some guysout there will shoot at the slightest thing that moves. So better to be safe than sorry in my book.

Quick Reply: is there such a thing as too much orange?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.