Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 is there such a thing as too much orange? >

is there such a thing as too much orange?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

is there such a thing as too much orange?

Old 09-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: is there such a thing as too much orange?

Hey StevenRay.....Thats just good hunting sense..All this camo stuff has turned us into invisible men and that has proven fatal. ORANGE may save ya.. SAfe hunts 2 ya my good man
Old 09-24-2005, 08:22 AM

If the suit keeps you warm then wear it and you can buy some large camo sweat bottoms to wear on the lower half that way it wouldn't be all orange and it wont cost to much... believe me you cant kill much with your teeth chattering
Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont wear any .........you are the perfect killing machine
Old 09-27-2005, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: snowman69

I live in Saskatchewan,Canada and during bow and muzzleloader season we can wear camo but when rifle season comes to its full orange or full white. And I will tell you from expirencethat weather you wear camo white or orange it doesn't make a difference I have had deer look directly at me while I was in my orange and white and not be able to pick me up at 20yrdsuntil I moved. That is why IMO realtree and all that other camo is way over rated, a guy could wear a plaid shirt and have the exact same luck as the guy wearing the expensive camo(not opinion proven fact).
wow thats a great point !!!

Roll Tide
DD

Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

95% of the time i don't!! its a great thing to be a tax payer and not have to worry about all the idiot gun totin fools who will shoot anything they come across!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

While can never have too much orange for safety,
i do believe you should break up that orange,
while animals may not distinquich color,
they do see patterns,
and there is nothing in nature that is that large and a solid color
Old 09-27-2005, 06:21 PM

I think the danger with your all orange suit is the "blob factor" - an unbroken siloutte (sp?). Frankly, I think that some of the denser,so called realistic,camo patterns being foisted on the buying public are just as blobby to a deer's eye. To me, a simple break up light/dark pattern if far better in almost all cases. You can accomplish this (to the deer's eye) with a simple break up or woodland type pattern on a blaze garment.

I have tried to find blaze camo stuff to maximize orange while cutting the blob factor. The deer sees light (blaze orange) broken up by the camo pattern. You can also reduce the blob factor, of course, by not presenting an unbrokensiloutte to the animal - use bushes, tree trunks, etc. to break up your siloutte. If you're into it, you can buy fabric paint (for a brush or spray) in a fabric or craft store and do your own break up camo on your orange suit.

My opinion is in most areas of rifle or shotgun hunting in the lower 48 US, when in doubt wear more orange rather than less, although my personal opinion is that a jacket and a cap are more than enough. The detrrimental effects of orange are very minor, and can be easily minimized with a little natural concealment, while there's no substitute for safety. Watching my friends walk through the woods in daylight and twilight in solid orange and orange w/camo, I'm convinced the orange w/ camo is just as visible to the hunter, but much less "blobby" to the deer. My favorite camo "study" is this one, which supports my opinion (that's why I like it!!). http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.htm
Old 09-27-2005, 06:29 PM

The url I tried to post is: http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.html
Old 09-27-2005, 06:31 PM

geeze, try this!!??

http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.html