Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Thinking of planting some trees >

Thinking of planting some trees

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thinking of planting some trees

Old 09-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thinking of planting some trees

Hey guys, I was just thinking about planting some trees in an area that I hunt privately. I have permission and all, its just Im not sure which trees to plant. I was thinking of going with a tree with some nuts so that I could get the deer in there once the weather gets colder. However, I want to make sure I got something that they might eat....and something that can bear nuts/fruit the quickest.
I read about a Japanese Heartnut tree that can bear nuts within 3 years of planting....It is also known as the Japanese Walnut... I dont know if anyone knows anything about these trees...but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM

Default RE: Thinking of planting some trees

Try posting in the Wildlife Management section. I have not heard of them before. Sawtooth oaks produce nuts within five to nine years and are the fastest producing nut trees for deer I know of. But, they loose their nuts earlier than some oaks.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:40 PM

YOU WANT QUICK?? Plat your tree of choice nut or fruit bearing, and Plant Berry bushes around those trees, and you'll get berries, generally the next year. Raspberries, blue berries, strawberries......just have to watch out, cause youll have all kinds of huntable creatures comming in to eat berries. Just keep them trimmed way back, so that they dont destroy your tree saplings.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BSTNFREEK

YOU WANT QUICK?? Plat your tree of choice nut or fruit bearing, and Plant Berry bushes around those trees, and you'll get berries, generally the next year. Raspberries, blue berries, strawberries......just have to watch out, cause youll have all kinds of huntable creatures comming in to eat berries. Just keep them trimmed way back, so that they dont destroy your tree saplings.

GOOD LUCK!!
How many of the rasperries, blueberries or strawberries are going to be around on
opening day of deer season?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:13 PM

Our raspberry bushes produce fruit until the first frost. Which is usually mid October.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

crabapple trees my good man