Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Slayer Wannabe

Old 09-10-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Deer Slayer Wannabe

I've heard stories in the break room at work about the adventures of hunting to the point that I want to give it a try. And not so much for the trophy, but for the meat. I'm 45 years of age and have never been hunting. Every hunter "I know" is the son of a hunter. Their fathers took them under their wing and taught them just about everything there is to know about it. I wont have that luxury. What I learn, I'll have to get on my own. My coworkers insist that I can learn as I go, on my own. I've hinted that I might need an instructor the first time or two out on the hunt. But none are too keen on the idea. Just from what I've picked up in the round table discussions, there is a good bit to know. From shot placement to weapon. Blood trailing. Field dressing. Butchering. Although most say they take theirs to a butcher for processing. I'm sure there is a lot more to know. My question to you, how can I learn enough about hunting so that I wont be a danger to others and be a sucessful hunter ? I know there is only so much you can learn from books. Real experience comes from "hands on". But are there books or videos that teach the basics of hunting ? I've tried to pick up a little here and there watching the outdoor channel. But, from what I've seen on the outdoor channel, the program is geared to those who already know what they're doing.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Slayer Wannabe

Well first take the hunter safety class and they will teach you alot. I dont know what its like down there but up here in Ohio its required. Also go with a friend at work your first year of hunting you will pick up alot from that too. Also what kind of gun do you plan on using. I wouldnt recammend a bow to someone who hasnt hunted before. And bows cost more. If your thinkin of a shotgun i would say a 20 gauge. I dont know if you have shot a gun before or not. If you have maybe a 12 gauge, i said a 20 that way you can get use to recoil and if you mess up you wont have a black eye. And a 20 gauge can drop a deer in a heartbeat. My first deer was with my 20 gauge. One shot and probably the best shot i will ever have in my life. Took both lungs and the heart and the right shoulder out. For field dressing that will take time to get use to. Some people may never hunt again after they have to gut or watch someone gut a deer or any animal because of the stuff you have to do. And some dont have the stomach to hunt. Cause when you make a bad shot and you will, everyone does and you see it, it can make you think. I took out the back legs on my doe last year with my first shot and watched it try to crawl away when i went up to it to finish it. Its a mental and physical sport. My best advice to you is tell us what you plan on hunting with a rifle, gun, or bow. Were out in the world you will be. Take the hunters safety class. And ask a friend that hunts AND KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING to let you tag along. I dont think they would mind at all. And dont stop trying. It took me 3 years to get my first deer. GOOD LUCK, ALSO THE PEOPLE ON THIS BORED CAN BE REALLY HELPFULL IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS JUST ASK.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

welcome.......i didnt have the luxury of having a dad teach me.matter of fact ,my sister got me into it and i've learned from being out in the woods,trial and error,the internet and talking to folks around the checkstation.
hunters education is a must...they teach you everything you need to know about the weapons you'll be using, safety, so much more....find out when there is one in your area and go....until then i'll say one thing...ALWAYS identify your target and BEYOND....know your weapons..bow hunting you base most everything on yardage, you dont want to shoot too far, more than 30 yards is a no no for me, shotgun, a slug can go further than 00buck shot, rifle, well you'll have to talk to someone who knows rifles, where i hunt, there's no need for it...muzzy's , well you can shoot 70-100 yds. no problem, some will say even farther depending on the the amount of powder....practice, know your capabilities and your weapons capabilities.
learn the land and it's quarry....
ethics is a big part of hunting, so be ethical,laws written and unwritten ,like dont take a doe if she is with her fawn,dont take shots that youre not sure of...
gutting,well that may take some getting used too, i still puke, but it doesn't stop me, dont get downwind of it when youre doing it, lol....there's sites on the internet that will show you step by step process...
i wish you all the luck in the world...if you ask alot of questions, you'll get the answers.....Take care
Old 09-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

First, try to find a friend that is willing to show you the ropes on hunting
and learn the ways of the hunting woods, also the safety about weapons.
There are videos an magazines you can learn from, and also this forum.
Do alot of off hand shooting with the weapon you choose, after you have
sighted at the range.
There are many things to learn at first, but I know that you being a matured
man at 45 can learn fast. All you have to do is get started. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Deer & Deer Hunting magazine has ads in the back for Deer Hunting books for sale. many of these books are filled with uears worth of experience...from tracking, to blood trails, to stand placement.

Above all, just spend as much time in the woods as possible. Each time you go out, you should learn something new. (I still do, and I have been hunting almost 25 years.)

Trial and Error is common, learn from your mistakes. EXCEPT, LEARN ABOUT YOUR WEAPON FIRST, so you won't/don't have any mistakes. But other mistakes..such as moving too fast, making too much noise, wrong stand location...those are fine, we all do it.

But making a mistake with your weapon (not handling safely, shooting at unknown targets, not properly identifying your target and what is beyond it, those things can NOT be trail and error, or else you may hurt someone or yourself.)

I wish you luck, and don't despair, if you don't get a 20-point buck your first year. It took me 5 years to harvest my first buck with a gun, and over 10 years to get my first with a bow.

While I don't claim to be the next Chuck Adams, I certainly have better success the last 15 years.

TIME IN THE WOODS is the key....... even if it is OUT OF SEASON, at least you can learn the landscape, and observe some animals.

GOOD LUCK, and HAVE FUN!
Old 09-10-2005, 08:01 PM

Hunting is extremely simple. It's only as complicated as you want it to be. All you really need is some land (there are plenty of public gamelands), a gun (they're pretty easy to shoot nowadays) and a stand. Go onto the land with your gun and sit in the stand. When a deer comes along, shoot 'im. The only time you'll need help is with the gutting/butchering process. And you'll learn that after just one time.

Of course it goes way beyond that, but that's all you really need. As you get more comfortable with the basics, you'll want to get more advanced and try some more sophisticated stuff. But keep it simple to start with.

And in the process, you'll get addicted!
Old 09-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

When a deer comes along, shoot 'im
You should write for one of the hunting magazines. That's the best advice I've ever read.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where are you located? There may be a forum member that is close enough by thatthey could help you get in a club or give you some hands on help. By the way, welcome to the board, lots of good folks here that will be glad to help in any way they can and answer any questions you have.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

welcome. your life is about to change, for the better.i also got into hunting a little later in life. if i can learn how to do it so can you. just keep posting here
Old 09-14-2005, 09:40 AM

My best advice to you is tell us what you plan on hunting with a rifle, gun, or bow. Bow hunting looks to be very interesting and a challenge. I understand that requires a lot of practice, both on the hunt and off.
The crossbow seems a bit more forgiving and I was told that it is now legal to hunt with it. I knew it was for the handicaped. Also muzzle loaders look interesting. Untill now, I never even considered a shot gun. But that is an option. And with that, I'd be set for turkey season too. I could see how this could get pretty deep in my wallet. My coworkers hunt with bow and rifle. But when the topic of rifle starts, the debate begins. One says the best all around rifle is the 270. Another says 30-06 and another says 7mm. I guess it really doesn't matter. What ever works for you. I'm just wondering what will work for me.
gutting,well that may take some getting used too, i still puke, but it doesn't stop me, dont get downwind of it when youre doing it, lol. Yep. I've heard all about that. And it seems like you are not alone Huntnma.

First, try to find a friend that is willing to show you the ropes on hunting
and learn the ways of the hunting woods, also the safety about weapons. I've dropped hint after hint to my fellow coworkers, then came right out and said it. But, like I said before, they are not keen on that idea. Maybe they dont want the burden of having a greenhorn with them on the hunt.

Deer & Deer Hunting magazine has ads in the back for Deer Hunting books for sale. I know everyboy has their favorite. And I'm not gonna ask which is the best. But I will ask, which you'd suggest, for the individual who needs to learn ?

Above all, just spend as much time in the woods as possible. I guess that's where being in a hunting club comes in handy. I understand there are public hunting land in my area. But I know very little about it. And from what I have learned from coworkers, public hunting land isn't the best place for a beginer. Nor a journeyman, for that matter. I heard that on the begining of deer season, you'll be tripping over people getting to your location. They're afraid for their own safety. And that, to me dont sound good at all. I was told about some land across the state line into Tennessee that was for lease. One of the coworkers mentioned that if we had 6 or 7 others to share the lease with, we'd be sitting pretty. A lot of hard woods and a soy bean field near a creek. I guess that's a good thing. But the bummer of it, is having to get licensed in Tennessee. Which I understand is $350. As opposed to $16 in Alabama. Big difference there.

Where are you located? There may be a forum member that is close enough by thatthey could help you get in a club or give you some hands on help. I'm located in N.W. corner of Alabama. Just a skip and a jump from Tennessee and Mississippi.

Thank you for the "welcome" I am enjoying the forum very much.

Quick Reply: Deer Slayer Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.