HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Slayer Wannabe
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 11:48 AM
huntnma
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Slayer Wannabe

welcome.......i didnt have the luxury of having a dad teach me.matter of fact ,my sister got me into it and i've learned from being out in the woods,trial and error,the internet and talking to folks around the checkstation.
hunters education is a must...they teach you everything you need to know about the weapons you'll be using, safety, so much more....find out when there is one in your area and go....until then i'll say one thing...ALWAYS identify your target and BEYOND....know your weapons..bow hunting you base most everything on yardage, you dont want to shoot too far, more than 30 yards is a no no for me, shotgun, a slug can go further than 00buck shot, rifle, well you'll have to talk to someone who knows rifles, where i hunt, there's no need for it...muzzy's , well you can shoot 70-100 yds. no problem, some will say even farther depending on the the amount of powder....practice, know your capabilities and your weapons capabilities.
learn the land and it's quarry....
ethics is a big part of hunting, so be ethical,laws written and unwritten ,like dont take a doe if she is with her fawn,dont take shots that youre not sure of...
gutting,well that may take some getting used too, i still puke, but it doesn't stop me, dont get downwind of it when youre doing it, lol....there's sites on the internet that will show you step by step process...
i wish you all the luck in the world...if you ask alot of questions, you'll get the answers.....Take care