Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what gun should i get

Old 09-07-2005, 05:03 PM

Default RE: what gun should i get

If you like short action calibers you could go witha .308 or 7mm-08. These calibers are descent flat shooters and offer a wider variety of bullet choices than the .243 The .308 or .30 caliber offer bullet weights ranging from 100 gr. all the way up to 200 gr. and the 7mm-08 range is pretty much the same up to 175 gr.

Although I would suggest staying in the mid range weights due to the lower velocity of the short action you may not have enough punch to properly expand the heavier bullets.

Just my .02 cents
Old 09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Host of Hosts

I've always considered the .243 a bit on the small side for deer, but many people use them with 100 grain bullets. It just isn't something I'd choose. I like the .270 for deer.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since this sounds like your first high powered rifle I would stick to the 243. The recoil is minimal and it makes a great varmint on up to deer gun. ...Deleted by CalHunter... It is all about shot placement boys. I shoot 95gr Combined Technology Ballistic Tips when I shoot deer with my 243. I also have a 7mm, and I use Hornady 139gr SSTs in that. The deer will not know the difference what caliber hits them, cuz as long as you can place your shot well, they are going down.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Host of Hosts

"capable"? absolutely, ...Deleted by CalHunter... If that's your logic our logic could be that a beginner probably isn't "capable" of the shot placement needed for a .243 to execute a clean kill.

Now doesn't that sound dumb?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally like the 25-06 for deer.It shoots as flat as a 270win and will kill any deer at any range just as well as a 270win only with less recoil.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I was getting at is everyones magnum crazy ideas. It seems like all the magazines, shows, etc all are saying you "need" a 300 WSM to kill a deer. 2 seasons ago I had 4 antlerless tags for the january extended deer season, all 4 of those does were shot with 1 shot from my AR15, which is chambered in 223. Sorry if I offended anyone, but if I did maybe they were offended because they aren't "capable" of making clean shots.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Host of Hosts

Seeing how I'm the only person who responded to your "capable" theory I assume your directing your last post to me. I'm no fan of magnum calibers either, just so you know. I am however very " capable " of killing a deer with any caliber you choose. Especially the light rifle calibers you like so much. Anyone who has the proper discipline and skill to shoot deer with sub-par calibers I say have at it. But in reality MOST hunters today DO NOT spend the time needed at the range to make clean kills. That is all I'm saying.And I guess we agree on that.I teach rifle and pistol courses and beleive me there are ALOT of guys who know everything and talk a good game , but when it comes to range time they are happy to hit a pie plate at 100 yards. Like I said the .243 is very capable of killing a deer, but again alot ofhunters aren't about shot placement.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

I second the vote for a .25-06
Old 09-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome country boy!!!!!!!

for a medium size caliber i like the 7mm-08, .308, rem .260, 6.5sweede, if you ever plan on reloading i'd stick witht the 7-08, or the .308 for the widest variety of bullets, as for the mags. why shoot something that kills on both ends, i bought my wife a rem model 7 s/s in rem 260, i have 4 "magnums" that stay in the safe now, the 260 is a pleasure to shoot, handles great, and will flat do a number on whitetails,,,imo there is nothing wrong with the 243, it would be on the lower end of my choices, about the lightest bullet i shoot at deer is 125gr.but the 243's accuracy cannot be disputed, and they also are a dream to shoot, today if i was buying a new gun, (if didn't have a deer rifle) it would be a compact gun like the model 7 or the ruger compact in 7mm-08 or the .308, if you don't like the small frame guns or don't need it, i'd buy the same caliber in a remington 700..

best of luck
Old 09-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got your mind right.....243 is a good gun capable of good kills on a number of variousgame