Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot Plot vs Green Patch?

Old 08-29-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Shot Plot vs Green Patch?

I planted some Shot Plot a little earlier this season. I had very poor results with it. Only about 40% of what I planted came up, and about 50% of that wilted and died before it got 3in tall.

After about a week of planting the Shot Plot, I bought some Biologic Green Patch Plus and planted it beside the Shot Plot. It is still growing strong and green. Looks very good.

The Green Patch is a mixture of clover, turnip and wheat. The shot plot isa mixture of rape and turnip. I wonder why the Green patch's turnips done so well and the Shot Plot didn't at all. As for the clover, I didn't expect any of it to come up b/c its sandy land.

Again both are side by side and I actually dissed under that rest of the Shot Plot today and planted some Green Patch over it.

I will note that I did not fertilize or lime the land nor have it tested. So I am keeping that into consideration, but even with that said, again, I wonder why the biologic is doing so much better in the same soil.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shot Plot vs Green Patch?

Rape and turnips are a cooler weather type of plant. Could have been too hot for those type of seeds.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:03 PM

Yeah, I think that I did jump the gun on this one. I just hope that the stuff that is coming up now doesn't wilt and die before it matures. I checked it today and it is looking good. I may go one day this weekend and throw out some 13-13-13 on it.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

What were the recommended planting dates for them? Some companies put them on the bag for different regions. If it's not on the bag then their websites might have it, if not then I'm sure one company could tell you when to plant. Other than possibly planting at the wrong time, the lack of lime and fertilizer might have been the problem. Contact your local extension office or FSA office and they can do a soil sample, tell you how much lime you need, and help you with planting dates and weed control, etc. Hopefully your crop will pull out of it!

Edit: Depending on what you planted the Biologic stuff might be doing better b/c your current soil pH is suitable for the Biologic mix and not the other mix.