Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tank or Pond

Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Tank or Pond

My dad and i are hunting a new area this year. we are allowed 900 acres of land to hunt on, which is alot more than we arused to. it is really rugged terrain with steep canyons and thick groves of trees everywhere. Because we have no clue were the deer are on the land or what canyons they take we have decided to hunt the watering holes to start out with. On this piece of land there are 3 watering holes. one is a small pond about 30 yards by 30 yards. The second is a huge pond about an acre in size. The last one is a windmill fed stock tank at ground level. All three have cayons and trees all around them, So the deer are well secluded at all three places.there are small groups of cattle going to all three places so tracks are very hard to find around the water do to the cows. So do you guys think that a deer would rather drink at a stock tank or a natural pond.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tank or Pond

My guess goes to whichever one is more 'safe' for them. If one is more concealed, closer to woods or in woods, they would probably drink there vs. if one's out in the middle of a field.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

On this piece of land there are 3 watering holes.
If you can aford it get three stands and put one at each water hole.

Then what ever the wind is doing whould be wich stand to hunt.

And also if you are going to hunt the Am or Pm.

Also put out trail cams.

Any way Good Luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really don't think that the deer would have a preference, especially if all three have good surrounding cover. For the most part the deer will be around these water holes at early morning, and late evening.
If you canget some scouting done, I'd look for the funnel areas. There are going to be some natural barriers that influencehow the deer move about in every area. While deer are not lazy, they will generally take the path of least resistance, and will stick close to the "edges" of cover. Barriers and funnelscan be huge, like very steep creek banks, that deer would rather go around , than through. Or it can be very small things, like ditches, and depressions that conceal their movement, and fences too.Even with cattle on the property, you should be able to find the deer signs! If you can find these funnel, edge, feeding areas, AND a water hole too, you'll be on something good!
Water holes can be good places to set up, but unless it is very DRY, water alone, will not guarantee deer. Deer can make it with morning dew, frosts, and small water puddles, without coming out to ponds during shooting times!
Again, look for deer signs! If there are deeron the property, I promise, you will find signs of their presence! Even with cattle around! Good luck!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:39 AM

I agree with the camera idea. Nothing gives you a better idea of what thedeer are doing than seeing it for yourself!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:21 PM

I think that Jagman hit an important issue. Deer's stomachs are pretty tollerible to water, clean or "dirty", so most of their water may come from little puddles, ditches, dew, anything of that sort.

I hunt a piece of property that has a VERY good cow pond for deer. The owner doesn't have cows anymore and the land has grown up, so it is perfect for deer. I have seen them bed on the banks, but never drink the water. Never even seen the tracks go down to the water. So, I guess they are drinking at the creek or things like I mentioned above.

I am a big fan of cam's. If you have some, put them out. If you don't have any, buy some. It doesn't take a $500 camera to produce good pics. I have the cheap Stealth Cam and it takes great pics. For $50 I will not complain.I have posted some on here if you would like to see for yourself. If you have the money, go digital, if not and you don't mind getting film developed go with 35mm.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do some extensive scouting and sitting at each of the holes a week or so