Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Share Your Story

Old 08-22-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Share Your Story

Just thought some of you guys in the 40-and-under crowd would be interested in knowing about a request for essays by Outdoor Life magazine. There's no pay, just a chance to share your passion for hunting and vision for the future of the sport. The details are below.

Outdoor Life is preparing a special section on the future of hunting, and we want to hear from our readers age 39 and younger, who are the future of hunting, about why they’re passionate about the sport.

Tell us in roughly 300 words why hunting pumps you up more than anything else and why nothing is going to stand between you and your next day afield.

You might write about your most amazing hunting experience, or how a special mentor has inspired you to carry on the sporting tradition in a way other OL readers would love to hear about. Or just describe how good hunting makes you feel and why.

If you have a photo to accompany your essay, please send it in. However, no photo is required. If your essay is chosen for publication, you’ll receive an Outdoor Life baseball cap.

Send essays to Outdoor Life, “Why I Love Hunting,” 2 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016. Or you can e-mail your essay to [email protected] with the subject "Why I Love to Hunt." Please include name, age, address and phone number. Entries must be received no later than September 12, 2005.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Share Your Story

Well I am out I am way over 40. I am so old I forgot all my hunting stories.I flusded my brains and experience down the toilet last time I had the flu
Old 08-22-2005, 09:06 PM

Why I Love to Hunt
by: Slavko Bekovic

The sun was just beginning to ascend of the horizon and the morning air was crisp in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. There I was, sitting in full camouflage attempting to be as quiet as possible. Armed with only my hopes, dreams, and a .270 Winchester, I was ready like never before. Slowly, I pull out the rattle bag and start my sequence. As I begin to smack the bag, I hear the rustling of leaves and the breaking of twigs and branches in the distance.
I finish off my rattling sequence and wait silently for the buck I had dreamed about the night before to arrive and present itself. With the safety on and my hopes high, the sounds begin to get louder and louder. Could that be it? Could it be coming to inspect out the situation? Any buck would, right?
I slowly look to my left. Nothing. I then look to my right. Nothing. I look into the opening in the pines only 30 yards ahead. Nothing. Suddenly, more crunching. It was coming closer. My heart is now racing endlessly and my breathing was becoming harder to maintain. As silently as possible, I lean forward and look to my right and catch a quick glimpse of golden brown fur.
I look again quickly and see the brown fur behind the pines and suddenly, out comes…a squirrel. A measly squirrel! The meeting between my father and I in front of the stand after the morning’s hunt was like no other. Considering the way I was telling him what had happened, he must have thought I killed a monster 12 pointer with heavy-massed brow tines. I wish!
The disappointment was uncanny. My hopes were dashed. My dreams were shattered. Not many in this world can get that riled up over a squirrel. Not even of your hunting for them! All I know is that hunting is not only a sport, but a tradition. That is why I love to hunt.

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to get an email out.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

The disappointment was uncanny. My hopes were dashed. My dreams were shattered. Not many in this world can get that riled up over a squirrel. Not even of your hunting for them! All I know is that hunting is not only a sport, but a tradition. That is why I love to hunt.
Don't worry it will happen all over again the minute you see a deer.
I remember the first deer I saw from a tree stand.
I thought the deer would hear my heart pumping.
It felt like it would jump out of my chest.

Good Luck

To bad im over 40 years old LoL
Old 08-23-2005, 03:06 PM

300 words or less! I guess I'm out.

Paul
Old 08-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW .... leaves me out ...I'm so old that me and Davey Crockett use to share hunting stories ...but I can't seem to remember any ...

DD