Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree Climber Questions

Old 09-27-2002, 09:51 AM

Default Tree Climber Questions

I like using a tree climber for mobility purposes but haven't used one in years. I own two climbers and both are quite old, heavy, and noisy. Can you guys reccommend a climber that's light weight, quiet, and very simple to use. I'm thinking of getting a new one and getting rid of the old ones that I already have. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:41 AM

Default RE: Tree Climber Questions

Ol'man original. I really like mine. Packs very flat, relatively quiet and light. Don't use the climber as much though since I hunt mostly private land.

Lot of people will probably suggest something from the Summit line. They're real popular these days. The Viper is a common model. Not entirely sure how much it weighs though.

-Mike

Old 09-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Summit Viper XLS weighs in at 19 pounds, the Ol' Man is about 24 pounds. Look at both of them and it won't take long to see which is the most comfortable. The one time that I borrowed a friend's Ol' Man for an afternoon was one of the most uncomfortable afternoons of hunting I have ever spent.

Old 09-27-2002, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recommend the Summit line of climbers. I use the Summit Bushmaster(16 pounds) and have found it to be comfortable to carry in and out of the woods, comfortable to hunt in, quick and easy to set up and climb with and secure once in the tree. I prefer the Bushmaster because it has the open front on the hand climber/seat, which I like for bowhunting. As an added bonus, all Summit stands come with the excellent Seat Of The Pants fall restraint harness. IMO you can't go wrong with any of the Summit stands.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:47 AM

I just got the Lone Wolf Alpha Sit and Climb. I love it. It weighs 16.5 lbs. It packs to a slim profile. It is ultra quiet. Simple to use. It has all the features that I wanted. One note, it might not be the most comfortable climbing tree stand on the market, but I already had that(Tree Lounge). This year, I plan to hunt more and relax less! Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2002, 07:32 AM

I would not recomend a tree stand for anyone. It would need to be stationary and stable, like the tree house we played in when we were younger.You would not believe the hunters that we get in the ER with neck and spinal cord injures. Some paralized for life, Like superman some even worse. Would you like to live the rest of your life like this? On a ventilator and wheel chair? MY SON BOW HUNTS AND I FORBID THIS KIND OF HUNTING , until we can get a statioinary stand. It will be comfortable warm and most of all safe.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Summit is a very stable stand, light, strong and comfortable. Lone Wolf may be the simplest to use with the strongest platform I have ever seen, its not available with the fancy seats, but folds flat to carry and is easier to shoot from in most all positions than most, of which I like. Loggy Bayou probably has the most solid platform AFTER you put the strap on after reaching your chosen height but I am not fond of the climbing aid. No experience with API but they look like a good climber. I also tried an Ol Man climber, very well built but you have to fold the stand up perfectly every time to carry it right.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:03 PM

API Grand Slam Supreme. Quiet,quick,lite,comfortable,and durable.

SOTHRDNK
Old 10-02-2002, 07:23 PM

80% of P&Y bucks are taken from tree stands. Tough to argue with in terms of success.

If you are worried about falling put up a stand 8-10 feet and wear a harness.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

API Grand slam has to be one of the best stands on the market... Easy to use, light, comfortable, maybe too comfortable... I have used mine for years with no problems, and as always use a safty harness... A climbing tree stand is a very stable way to climb a tree and you have the added comfort of a railing all the way around you... Most hunting accidents involving a treestand are using strap on stands with no railings and no safty harness...