Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field Testing Deer Scents

Old 09-27-2002, 09:46 AM

Default Field Testing Deer Scents

For a long time I use same deer scent year after year.

Then I went to using no scent and becoming totally scent free, basically become a hole in the woods or better yet a ghost.

But not to get off the subject, can be a different post about scent free.

Back to deer scent.

I got to thinking what if you used the same scent year after year in the same area you hunt. Would that give the deer a heads up that you are now hunting that area. Like a car door slam at 4:00 a.m. each morning in the same area.

Well a few years ago I started buying scent again but for fun and learning. I will not use the same brand scent from one year to the next.

Also would use it in two ways only. Mock Scrapes and drag lines. Also these may not be in the correct order.

1st. Year
I started with Tink's scents gel and powder and did see some result on the camera.

2nd Year
Used James Valley Scent did see one deer follow the drag line all the way to my stand that was only 7 feet off ground. But was a young doe.

Also tried Mrs. Doe Pee same year with not results seen.

3rd Year tried Knight and Hale popper's no action what so ever.

4th. Year Urniated into scrapes at mid day in on hot sunny days only. Did see scrape activity in the scrape and other open up.

5th Year can't remember if this is the correct name Uncle Bucks Deer Scent candles did see rubbing in that area pick up.

6th Year 2002 order the HAWGS LIMITED deer scents this year and have put out 10 scrapes last weekend and plan on at least 3 more to put out.

Will let you know how that goes.

Long Long time ago tried 200 proof and had a buck killed in that area.

But one thing that always stays in my mind is the time after a nice buck was killed how another buck even bigger came into the area scraping trees. Have you ever seen this before.

www.mosportsmen.com
&
http://walden.mvp.net
Old 09-27-2002, 08:41 PM

Default RE: Field Testing Deer Scents

I too will be trying the Hawgs Limited this year. After many years of using the "Natural" scents with no results I've decided to go synthetic. The guy at the pro shop told me, that anytime a new scent product comes out it will work for the first year or two until the deer get used to it. Who Knows??? All you can do is try. I set up 4 scrapes 3 weeks ago using the hawgs limited and one is being used so far.