Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food Plots and Bait Stations

Old 08-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Food Plots and Bait Stations

ORIGINAL: A.D.D. BOY

I think baiting is poaching. Thats just me, same as caged hunts.
This might stip up an argument but I disagree. There are different definitions along with different intentions and regulations. Baiting is putting food or minerals out for deer so you can kill them. Feeding is putting food or minerals out for deer for the benefit of the herd. And it all depends on regulations in your area as well. That is just my opinion.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

if it is done within the guidelines set up by the dec then it comes down to personal choice.

here in ny baiting is illegal but i have no problem finding a game trail leading into a corn field... or hanging a stand near an apple orchard. is this considered baiting?

condem one hunter........you condem us all
Old 08-21-2005, 07:36 PM

We DO NOT hunt over baited spots such as corn..Once season starts we don't put any corn out until late in the winter..We do however hunt over planted food plots..I mean pour it on the ground or plant it they are both a form of bait...We are not allowed to hunt over a baited spot here in MO. A D D do you hunt over food plots?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Fl.it's legal,so I go out dump some corn and pick which 12 pointer I want and then go home.RIGHT!!!Do you hunt near an oak tree droping acorns?Near water???Ok enough of that,nice mix I'll try that.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: alwyshntn

the plot of minerals may help or try feeding a allstock mix instead of just plain corn. this is what I have in the feeder in this pic. Corn, Molasses, Oats or just buy some dried molasses and add to your corn. it'll sweeten it up.

I used to mix livestoke feed for local farms to include molasis sweet feed. I think it will clog my caster.Now i could go with a sweet pellet feed, I didnt think of that....hmmmm
Old 08-22-2005, 07:10 AM

I hunt over my feeder and plot to quickly fill my freezer and thin out does, now if a nice buck shows up shame on em. Once I got my meat supply up for the year, then I start hunting for fun and do a lot of spot and stalk, settin ground blinds and working for a nice one. I do agree with you sometimes hunting bait is like shooting cattle, but my families yearly red meat consumption is 98% Bambi. Bambi burger, Bambi-Q, Bambi Parmesan, Spicy Bambi Chili, Roast Bambi, Country Style Bambi, and any other kind of cooked Bambi fare crosses my table to the lip smackin enjoyment of all. Hell I'm married to an Italian import who can cook,if we ate beef Id be ashuge as a house. I applaud your position and can truly appreciate the thrill of the hunt, but until that freezer is stocked I'm harvesting a crop.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:16 AM

I thought owning a gun was illeagel in the Peoples Republic of Ney York...HAHAHA