Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Want to purchase a new Knife

Old 08-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Spike

Default Want to purchase a new Knife

I want to purchase a new knife this season for carrying in the woods and field dressing. Does anyone have experience with the Buck Crosslock Alpha Hunter? If so what are your thoughts. Looking for some suggestions.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:44 AM

Default RE: Want to purchase a new Knife

I looked at that crosslock and like the look of it.the price ,I though was a little high.

I carry the Buck ;#373 pocket . it does it all for me.I have never carried anything but a pocket knife,just don't like one on my belt, or cliped to a pocket , thats just me.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

I carry the Browning FDT (field dressing tool) and love it. It is a folding knife with three blades, regular blade, saw, and gut hook. The saw zips right throught the brisket and pelvic bone of a deer. My brother also hasone which he chipped the blade while boning out a moose, and Browning replaced it immediately. They are a little expensive, but worth it.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

It looks like a fine knife. Buck knives have always served me well, but no matter what brand you use, a good sharpener is essential. I bought a Lansky and practiced on some kitchen knives and old junk.

I don't know if it's the deer hair or what, but my Buck gets dulled after about 4 gut jobs. I keep a razor edge on it, so I guess that makes it dull a shade faster than normal.

I have a Buck Woodsman Model 102 (black), and it has proven to be quite reliable.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know buck carries a good name. And also for field dressing a gutting hook on the knife works wonders.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never found a gut hook much of a benefit. Most are to small and either plug up often or don't get in deep enough to open up the animal...well at least here were they tend to be on the fat side!I have no problems unzipping an animal with my regular knife andfound I was actually faster without the gut hook. Like anything it depends on how you were taught and what works for you best.

I personally prefer to carry a folding drop point style 3.5" knifewith anon skid decent sized handle that fits my hand. A number of years ago afterthe loss of my favorite and pricey knife. I made the decision to use less expensive models.I triedvarious common knives (buck, schrade, etc) but settled in with a Gerber Gator(can't recall the model but the one that uses the better steel - not low end but middle of the road in price). Having to replace it last year I opted for the Buck Alpha Hunter(black handle)...so far 2 elk, 2 Moose and 4 deer...I like! Bit heavier than the Gerber but I like the handle better. Steel seems good & easy to get a nice clean edge. I touch mine up after each FD so as far as keeping it I will say itshowed well onthe moose and anybody who has field dressed these animals know they make short work of a sharp edge..so I consider it to be a good measure that the knife hung in withcomparisonto past experiences.

Much like a rifle, lots of good choices that will do the job just need to find the one that meets your criteria and feels right to you!

Good luck
Old 08-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

using a gut hook helps me alot but i think it matters how you were taught and level of practice. i also start from breast cavity on a deer and work downward. if you start between the legs i feel its like playing roulette with the intestines and stomach if you get it wrong or go too deep.brand wise i like anything- buck. i try stay away from folding models just because there harder to cleanbut i do use a buck lite from time to time . ive owned gerber and uncle henry knoves from k-mart and they never stayed sharp and rusted easy so im staying with buck.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:28 PM

Hope I can get my thoughts to you in time. this is the greatest design in a knife I've ever seen. The gut hook unzips the skin like pulling on a zipper. The saw blade severs the pelvic bone and also cuts small limbs to clear shooting lanes. The knife ( and saw) lock in position for safety. The design is modern and functional...no Bowie-traditionalists ...strictly function over form...however the form is elegant. It does take a little extra effort to clean, but this is not an unpleasant chore. Comes with a case that threads through your belt if you wish. My opinion hasn't changed on this knife ( see my previous posts), and I haven't seen anything superior to it. Bought mine on Ebay. Be sure to get the newer model as the blade and sawblade don't lock on the old one.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are so many good kvives out there. A few of my favorites are the Cold Steel Master Hunter. It has a carbon Five blade which will rust if you don't keep it clean and lightly lubed but its a great knife. I use the Gerber Gut hook that uses the Stanley drywall blades(replacable) It works great. I carry the little Sagen saw with the protective plastic tip to keep from rupturing anything inside. I always carry a Bucklite folder as well. Another good set is the Kershaw Alaskan Blade Trader which has an upsweep hunting blade, a skinner with a Hugh gut hook and a good saw blade as well. Model 1098AK. It all fits in a good leather sheath.

Perhaps the best knife going is the Grohmann Original. Made in Canada. Holds an edge like few others. The best 70.00 dollar knife I have seen.. Do a search for Grohman Knives. Its a Russel design.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, made in Canada. I don’t hear that to often.

Quick Reply: Want to purchase a new Knife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.