Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent in the woods..?

Old 07-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent in the woods..?

I am in CA and will be archery hunting in 3 weeks. I have hung my stand but am wondering how much my scent will affect the deer? The only trail in and out of the area is a deer trail and that is what I walk down on. I wear clothingthat has beenwashed in scent eliminating product and wear gloves.I do however wear regular hunting boots no treated with scent free products.The weather is in the upper 90's with little humidity and I want to know how long my scent will stay around there? Also, everyone says to wear rubber boots, why? What is so special about rubber that can't hold scent like a regular boot? fill free to use a scientific explanation if you wish so i can better understand this.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent in the woods..?

DO NOT continue to walk in their trail. If you don't do it again until sesaon, it will probably be alright. However, they will discontinue use of it if you spread too much scent on or around it. Rubber boots are completely airtight except around the very top, which if you have laced ones or Lacrosse with the cinches at the top, this can be countered to an extent by making them tight around your leg at the top. Other boots breathe more and allow more scent to escape from inside the shoe. The materials used in regular boots absorb odors more than rubber as well. If you can submerge your boots in water just prior to or after entering the woods, that would help too. I walk through a creek or puddle at some point when traveling to my stand if at all possible.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe in limiting my impact but also know it is entirely impossible to be 100% scent free. The use of common sense goes a long way, which means know where the deer are, move and use the wind in your favour. I have seen countless deer walk down the same path or cross the path that I used with no hint of discomfort. Equally some have spooked as well. Just never know how much a deer will react. Since you have only one route to your stand what options do you really have??? Again be smart, move slowly, use the windand tree to keep from brushing every leave or limb on your journey.

Nothing to worry about in terms of your stand. Many use climbers and shoot animals. I wouldn't make a habit of going in to it lots till you hunt though.

As mentioned rubber does not hold ordisplace scent like other materials. That said I don't like wearing them unless I have too. Ithasn't caused me any concern, I wear what is comfortable and works for the situation.

Best of Luck
Old 07-31-2005, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rather than walk on a deer trail, I have cut/blazed my own trail to my stand more than once.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:33 PM

well, hang your stand long befor the hunting season starts so that the deer will get used to the stand being there and your scent left behind from putting up the stand
Old 08-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rubber sole boots are good for not leaving your scent behind but as the others have said, stay off the trails and avoid contact as much as possible with tree limbs and bushes. Pay attention to your breath also, don't be having coffee breath,ect either. Hunting in a tree stand is a little foregiving especially in hot climate as your scent will rise. Just one more thing, be aware of what scent your back pack may be leaking.
Bobby
Old 08-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shot all three of my deer last year on the trails I walked in on. Most will disagree the way i do things. I am forced to do it that way due to a handicap. Before I was disabled I use to go thru all the scent pow wows. I shoot as many deer doing nothing out of the ordinary.Infact I wear sneakers and no socks,Think of that stink.About the only thing I use is that scent away spray when I can afford it. I usually wear the same 2 outfits thru the whole season and do not wash them. On ocassion I will carry some liquid strained cow manure and throw it around .And I ground hunt and only take up to 25 yard shots.