Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting an early start!!!

Old 07-27-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Getting an early start!!!

I may get an early jump on my deer season!!! One of my hunting buddies has received permission to use deperdation(sp??) tags on a piece of property that has not been hunted in 15 years. We are going to go and scout later this week, and HOPEFULLY be hunting this weekend. I have never been on this type of hunt, but we can harvest as many does as we want. This piece of property is over run with deer, so we should thin the herd a little. We also will have this property to hunt this upcoming season. Being that this property has not been hunting in such a long time, I bet there are some MONSTERS on this land. We will see!!! In the mean time, I am very anxious to hunt this land. My buddy and I have decided to donate a lot of the meat to our local food store for the homeless. They are grateful that they can get this meat. It is a "win-win" for everyone!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:59 AM

Default RE: Getting an early start!!!

Depredation tags are WORK for the most part! Summertime aint my idea of great weather and snakes, wasps and spiders are EVERYWHERE in treestands and shooting houses. Sure you will get a chance to see what is there, but anything they are doing right now is in no way indicative of what they will be doing in Oct/Nov.

About the first and last hour of light is the only time I would bother with it. It's simply to hot and humid to bother otherwise. Are you limited too shotguns and muzzleloaders? If not I wouldn't bother with a stand, I would stay on the ground and slink around and pop em from the ground!
RA
Old 07-27-2005, 12:09 PM

I can use any method that is legal in Ohio. I am going to use my Muzzleloader. I thought about my bow, but decided against it. It will be hot, and that is why we will hunt only in the mornings. I am going into this thinking that "maybe" we will take a couple of does. It will just be too hot to hunt for a long period of time. We are going to hunt from the ground. Our tree stands will have to wait until the fall. Like I said, I think it will be fun, but I don't think it will be like shooting fish in a barrel!!! I am hoping to get a good look at the land, and maybe kill a deer or two!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: dough boy

I can use any method that is legal in Ohio. I am going to use my Muzzleloader. I thought about my bow, but decided against it. It will be hot, and that is why we will hunt only in the mornings. I am going into this thinking that "maybe" we will take a couple of does. It will just be too hot to hunt for a long period of time. We are going to hunt from the ground. Our tree stands will have to wait until the fall. Like I said, I think it will be fun, but I don't think it will be like shooting fish in a barrel!!! I am hoping to get a good look at the land, and maybe kill a deer or two!!!
Love the attitude!!! Good luck on your outings. I think the weather is going to get a little cooler, may get more time in the field.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 PM

HuntinWV...I am trying to be realistic. Like I said, I have never hunted this early in the year, so whatever I get out of it will be fine with me!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:17 PM

good luck to u guys.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah get out there and have some fun you lucky dog! To me its worth the effort, good luck and let us know how ya do!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:00 PM

Good luck to you. Never to early to start hunting!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:47 PM

I hunt early every year in SC. The first week or 2 is good, pretty much like later sesons, then until late september---dead! Approach it like you would any time, but note that the deer are not moving too far from bedding to feeding only. It also depends on how dry as to the possibility of water sources. Edges of thick woods, swamps, etc. are good as you find them emerging to more open areas to escape the bugs.If you have swamps or beaver ponds the deer like to lay up on coolies, little islands in or around water, and in damp , cool spots like dogs do around the house. They will also be in bachelor groups. Velvet bucks make a beautiful mount.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

You say you can hunt in the regular season also, Which means you can shoot bucks, Right ? Then why not scout and see what is there in the way of BIG BUCKS before you start wacking does and scare the bucks to other properties, Then after you wack the bucks start taking does. It would be cooler and nicer to do .. Just my take on it . Either way good luck, I wish I had it ..Bill

Quick Reply: Getting an early start!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.