Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why does my eye do this?

Old 09-24-2002, 12:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Why does my eye do this?

Hi guys,

I posted this on the gun forum..thought I'd try to drop it here, any thought much appreciated!

Shooting at the range at 100 yards, I found my cross hairs would go vague. Not disapper, or blurry.. just not the heavy duplex like when i pick up and focus. I moved power up and down, one of my scopes has reticle focus and that did nothing. I see the duplex for a while but as I settle and ease in they go vague. I have had to drop the eye and then start over. A little disconcerning.

This was on 3 different guns and scopes..same results.

Is this target panic? Eye fatigue? What?

I am severally left eye dominant (20/10) and shoot left. I usually shoot with the right closed, because I am right handed and I get a little comboobled with her open when in the field. However I tried opening and closing no help. My groups are good, it just takes time to iron it out. In the field if this happened the shot window would be gone.

Thoughts?

Old 09-24-2002, 07:01 AM

Default RE: Why does my eye do this?

The last 2 times I went to our local range I experienced the same problem. Each time it was near the end of shooting. I too am right eye dominant with 20/15 vision and lefthanded. Shoot with right eye shut. I do everything lefty. Shoot, throw, write. Each time it was after going out to range a resetting targets - come back and look through scopes and see a heavy black ring an outside and fuzzy. I move head backwards and forward to try and adjust, but it doesn't clear up until I rest my eyes. I'm thinking fatigue and maybe in combo with overclinching my right eye causes it. I've never experienced it when I'm hunting - hope you don't either!
My stash -
.300 Winchester Magnum
Remington 1100 Slug gun
30/30 Winchester
Remington Nylon 66 .22
CVA Hunterbolt
Traditions Hawken
Ruger Mark II .22 pistol
Old 09-24-2002, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks redman60, good to know I am not alone. I am thinking it is fatigue and just trying to hard to see the bull!

Old 09-24-2002, 11:16 AM

It sure is frustrating. I even get a little dizzz when it first happens and I relook into the scope.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:38 PM

I have also experienced this and I find that when this happens, I am focusing on the object beyond the cross hairs and not on the crosshairs on the object. It helps me to re-focus on the cross hairs and then go to the object. Good luck
Old 09-24-2002, 05:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-24-2002, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try adjusting the eye piece on your scope in or out a little sometimes that helps me.

THE NRA, WHERE WOULD YOU AS A GUN-OWNER BE WITHOUT THEM.
GUN-OWNERS, UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:18 AM

You fellers need to go to a eye docter" Opthomalagest" . It could be a diabetic reaction. Do any of you have this in your family history? It could be caused from a number of things. You need to get a good check up. How long has it been? I have the same problem. But mine is not reversable.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:39 AM

lol you think that bad ive got so nervous when i was hunting my eye started twitching and wouldnt stop for a hour, it was awful

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."
Old 09-29-2002, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off, I recently had my eyes tested and no changes. 20/10 in the left and 20/20 in the right.

I went back to the range 2 more times since and no real problems. however the last time, near the end I was finding hard to keep it all together...I figure it was eye fatigue.