Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Worm in Deer question?

Old 09-29-2002, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Worm in Deer question?

I got a little basket 6 point in the youth season yesterday, and when i was gutting it i found a little white worm about twice the thickness of a hair and about 2 inchs long. I was wondering if i should worry about this. I figured maybe most deer have worms but it doesn't effect the meat it just stays in the stomach. Should i worry or is this normal. One other question is when i got my dehydrator to make jurkey it had a warning that said if making jerky with wild game it should stay frozen for a minumum of 25 days. Is this because when making jerky it doesn't get that hot or should i be doing this however i prepare the meat.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:14 PM

Default RE: Worm in Deer question?

Nuge ; all wild game have worms of some kind.I have saw a few worms in the intestines of a few deer. I don't even give them a second though.all swine have them,even squirrels have some at one time or the other. "Just don't worry about them".

as for the jerky,most people freeze it before hand anyway.the merinade I use has enough salts and other things that it should be ok.if you just use soy,and pepper.I would make sure it is frozen for a few days.

just my 2 cents,there are 98 more.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:58 PM

Default RE: Worm in Deer question?

I remember seeing 1 exactly like you described a few years ago in a deer. Ate the meat with no repercussions. You'll be fine if you handle and prepare the meat correctly.