Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Binoculars--what to get?

Old 07-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Spike

Default Binoculars--what to get?

I'm going on a Wyoming mule deer hunt this fall and know I need a decent pair of binoculars. I presently own a set of Nikon 8 x 32 which work great for me in Wisconsin. I'm thinking I need a different pair and was considering a pair of 8 X 42. I want to stay away from the 10x power because I have to hold it that muchmore still.

I would love to have a pair of Swarovski but have a hard time justifying the cost. I'd have to sell a couple of guns to swing the deal.

I plan on doingseveral more Western US hunts over the next 10 years. I am an avid Wisconsin gun/bow deer hunter and fisherman. I like taking my binoculars on my boat to see what the other fishermen are using.

I know this is a tough question but what would you recommend for a pair of binoculars in that mid range price ($300 to $600).

I've looked at the Nikon Monarch and the Leuopold. I may look at the Burris Signature and the Cabelas Alaskan Guide. I know you usually get what you pay for but is the $600/pair that much better than the $400/pair or the $300 pair. I haven't forgot about the Swarovskis.

My other option is to use my Nikon 8 x 32. I also have the rifle scope to zoom in.

Any thoughts? What has worked well for you? I would also want a pair with a good warranty behind it. Any place to buy good/reliableused binoculars?

Thanks,

DD
Old 07-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Binoculars--what to get?

A few thoughts....

One, there just were two very good binocular threads on the Hunting Gear forum. One primarily dealt with high end binos while the other discussed more mid priced models.

The Nikon Monarchs are very highly regarded as are the Bushnell Legends. Both are phase coated, fully multicoated, waterproof and available in the 8x42 configuration. I would suggest you start your search there with them.

In my opinion there really isn't that much of an improvement in optics up to the $600 price point. I have owned/used several of the Leupold, Pentax and low end Zeiss models up to that price and only the 8x30 Conquest model was a tad sharper than the Monarchs or Legends but then again the objective size is smaller so you aren't going to get as brightan image in low light conditions.

As for the objective/magnfication combination, I think you are again on the right track in that such a combination would yield very good results in terms of low light usage...a primary consideration for most hunters.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 PM

I agree with PABowhntr. I have a pair of the Bushnell Legend Roof Prism binos in 10x26. I was tired of buying the crappy ones and wanted a pair that would last me a few years. I was ready to drop around $400. I compared them to the Leupold Wind Rivers and the Steiner Predators and I felt they were the better binocular. I nice plus was they were only $120. Best thing to do is go to a store and compare if you can.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 PM

There is only one answer to this question.

http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/

Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

I've always used the cheaper bushnells over the years mostly b/c I didn't want to pony up the money for a good pair. Last winter I finally bit the bullet. I was sick and tired of my Bushnells and bought a pair of 10x42 Nikon Monarch ATBs. Couldn't be happier with them! They're crystal clear and pick up a good amount of light in low light situations.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like a 40 to 42mm lens. In decent binoculars, they gather plenty of light, yet are not uncomfortable to carry around all day. My personal preference is for the 10x, especially when trying to spot objects in more open terrain at longer distances.

If you get agood set of binoculars, you will soon find yourself using them much more often than you previously thought.

I have a pair of Swarovski's. It took a while to save up for them, but I finally did. It was still hard to shell out that money when I went to get them, but I did. My only regret looking back is that I didn't do it much sooner. My old binoculars were 10x, but they lacked the detail at distance to count the points on a bull elk across the valley, or that whitetail across the field. It took my spotting scope to do that. Now, I'm not even sure where I put the spotting scope up last. I find myself using my binoculars all the time, from hunting deer to hunting heifers trying to calve. I have had to use the warranty service once, but it was top notch.

As for looking through a riflescope, that may work but it isn't always safe. The gun has a nasty tendency to look where you look. What may appear to be a deer or elk at a distance might be a horse or cow. That unknown object moving around might turn out to be a person. I sat in a deerstand one day that wasn't far from a neighbor's deer stand. Mine was about 200 yards from the fence, his was about 100 yards on the other side. I kept seeing something glistening in the waning sunlight, but I couldn't quite make it out. I didn't have any bino's, so finally I decided to glance through my scope. Guess what I saw? Another hunter already staring through his scope at me.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:45 PM

I think you will be much happier with the swarovskis. I own a pair and love them. I would rather have the best binoculars and a so-so scope. you judge with your binos and shoot with your scope. if you judge with a scope you will most times make judging errors. You can really study the animal with better glass in the upper end binoculars.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I can't give you any advice because I don't have any bino's in that range.

What I can do though is recommend the Swarovskis. I have several friends that have them, and like North Texan...ALL wish they had gotten them sooner. Well worth the money, is what they ALL say. They are definitely awesome, and if I ever see the need for a good pair, that is what I will get.That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but if you are going to be using them on a regular basis, figuring out a way to come up with the extra money would probably be your best bet.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

DD,

One other thought, I don't know if you live anywhere near close any of the Cabelas retail stores but if you do then check out their bargain cave. I have picked up 3 pairs of very good binoculars and one spotting scope there and have saved close to $1300 because of it. Some very good deals if you know what to look for.