Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would he score?

Old 07-15-2005, 05:54 PM

Default RE: What would he score?

I can't tell how many points he has, but if he is an 8 point, I would say that he would score around 100.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, looks like a 90 class buck to me. It only takes a few minutes to score a rack, especially a clean 4x4. Stretch the tape on him and see what you come up with. Congrats on your best buck by theway. Next time, try to get some pics of the animals BEFORE he is in back of the truck... they'll be a LOT more special to ya over the years,... trust me!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

IL.... Here you go... I just tried to put on the one that you can best see his rack...

http://tinypic.com/909kl1.jpg

http://tinypic.com/909kt3.jpg

I have some other pics outdoors when I shot him, but they are not on my computer yet.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:33 PM

I think you're asking the wrong question. I think you should ask yourself if you are proud of the deer and how you hunted him, and a 'score' is immaterial. Trophy hunting will adversely effect huntting as the battle against the anti increases. the nonhunters are the 'swing vote' ,and I've yet to meet onethat approves of trophy hunting, yet have yet to also meet one that objecys to those that primarily hunt for the meat.I appreciate a nice set of antlers, but am more interseted in the hunt and the challenge, ethics, and overall actual hunting that goes into the harvest.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Manuman...
I agree with you. I am hardly a trophy hunter... you can't be a "trophy" hunter in the areas that I hunt. I live for the hunt. I get fired up when I kill a doe, forkhorn, whatever...I bust my a## for every deer I take. This just happened to be the biggest buck I have ever had the opportunity to kill.
He is on the wall and is a trophy to me no matter what he scores. I was just curious if I was in the ballpark on it.. That's all.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:13 AM

Western Ma Hunter----Hope I didn't make you feel defensive. I can tell that you are proud of your buck, and rightly so. I am very concerned about the 'trophy' mentality and it's overall effect on the future of hunting from 2 perspectives. 1 is from, as I mentioned, the negative effect it has on the general popuolation, who will determine he future of hunting. 2, it is an unnatural approach to the predation cycle that keeps the herd in balance, and then effects the overall health and subsequent survival of our nations deer herd. I don't want to make you feel defensive, or anyone else for that matter, about their choice of a deer or to put a damper on your excitement. I just think that we should all be a little more introspective about hwo our views will effect the future of hunting for all of us.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

No offense taken manuman. Your point is very understandable. I feel the same way. I am not a trophy hunter and definately can't afford to be one. I enjoy my "trophy" does just as much...
Old 07-27-2005, 07:50 PM

Cool! I'm glad I didn't offend. I'm also glad you understand my perspective. There are so many with blinders on these days that I hesitate sometimes to express my concerns about the 'trophy' only mentality.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

manuman....
I get so pumped up taking does and forkhorns, etc... Any deer is a trophy to me in the areas we hunt.