Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shooting does?

Old 09-24-2002, 07:20 AM
Spike

Default RE: shooting does?

Georgia DNR is practically mandating that hunters kill does this year. Our season limit is two bucks, one of which must have at least four points of 1-inch or longer on one side. Our season limit for does is 10. Besides does make good eating.

Heaven is best viewed from a deer stand at sunrise in the forest
Old 09-24-2002, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, especially with Taz! Taking a doe is better than taking a young buck. Studies have shown that taking more does, leads to better habitat, which in the long run will lead to better bucks! It seems that in places that take more does, the birth rate and fawn survival rates are much higher, so protecting does does nothing to help the herd!
Unfortunately, in my area lots of people still have what I call "the cattle ranch mentality," one "bull" to 30 "cows!" Fine for cattle, bad for deer!
Old 09-24-2002, 12:23 PM

Take the doe. The fawns will make it and it is really important to get your first deer. It is the one you will remember for the rest of your life. I remember my first one, Doe with one fawn. Still lactating, 211 paces in the open field. Used a Winchester mod 94 30-30, 150 grain. Cool morning, no snow on the ground yet. It was about 9:30AM. I had just finished helping my cousin gut his first deer(nub buck). He of course won the buck pool that year. I could write two pages on this!
Old 09-24-2002, 03:05 PM

It will be good for the herd. To many deer can be a problem and by shooting a mature doe there will be more food for the bucks and other does. Just try to make sure that it isn't a button buck.

Old 09-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first (and only) deer was a rather large doe (about 165-175 lbs dressed). Not only did I have the perfect shot at her (she stepped out into a perfect shooting lane 30 yards from me), but she practically begged me to shoot her by stomping and snorting trying to spook ME! She tasted really good too! I wouldn't hesitate to make a doe my second deer, either.

My Dad, on the other hand, gets Buck Fever so bad that once he spots a buck, he'll let 50 does walk right by him waiting for a shot at him. Funny thing is, he usually ends the season empty handed.

I'm not picky, and it's good for the herd in the long run too.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Old 09-25-2002, 09:33 AM

i passed on a buck my first season because it is the only buck ive seen in our area so i didnt want to take it, turns out i didnt get a shot a deer the rest of the season, no problem though there is always this year.
yes i do believe it is better for the herd to take the does

propmahn
you can never have too many guns
Old 09-25-2002, 12:23 PM

i agree witrh al you guys taking a doe never hurts anything my first deer was a doe it helps the popolation stay in check

the buck stops here

James Jedlicka