Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 SPENDING THE NIGHT IN THE WOODS >

SPENDING THE NIGHT IN THE WOODS

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SPENDING THE NIGHT IN THE WOODS

Old 06-30-2005, 01:40 AM

Default SPENDING THE NIGHT IN THE WOODS

well we have the one on going dark to dark what about spending the night. i know like in a camp but i mean going out stayin in ur stand or blind. or bringing a tent climin out of your tree and stayin right there. now if i had a blind like a box blind built i would. i would take food and water. and somethin to pee in . it wouldnt be that bad actually. cause u got doors and u could put a lock on its water proof maybe insulated (if i spent the money on onei would have it insulated) and bring a sleepin bag. the only problem would be wakin up but i think with were u are and knowin ur hunting it wouldnt be that bad. and have like a digital watch for the time.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: SPENDING THE NIGHT IN THE WOODS

I do it all the time.

I just don't seem right shooting deer and turkeys out the window unless I at least get out of bed first.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never done it mostly because I hunt close to home and I believe access to that property is restricted after dark. I will have to check out that last bit further though.

Does sleeping over at a nearby cabin count?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't forget about all the spiders and other creepy crawly little buggers who seek out warm objects (you) and love to sink their teeth into warm blooded objects (you).

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 06-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never done it nor has anyone in our hunting party. However, I have witnessed some fellows in Maine do this on a regular basis. They would arrive just after sunset and make their way about 3 miles in the woods. They said it would take them about 2 hrs to get where they were going. Three miles thru deep cedar swamps in Maine can be brutal, especially knowing there is no road within miles. You really have to know what you're doing.

They would setup camp, spend the night and be ready well before first light. One other thing, these hunters were all members of the Penobscot Nation - Native American Indians. I met them one evening as they were beginning to get setup. There were 5 of them.

I had heard some shooting "way off" the next morning. Just before noon, I was returning to the truck on the old loggong road owned by paper companies with my buddy. He had shot a nice buck and I helped drag it out. When we arrived at the truck, there were 4 of the hunters I met the previous evening and there were 4 beautiful bucks laying on the dirt road. They told us briefly about the deer and I then mentioned there was one member missing. No sooner has those words come out of my mouth, the last of the 5 walked out of the thickets dragging yet another buck, the biggest of them all.It was one of the biggest bucks I had ever seen. We estimated it wood dress at 235-250pounds. It was a sight I will not sson forget.

So, I guesssomething can be said for spending the entire night in the woods....at least if it's done the right way and you know whatyou're doin'.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've never done it personally. i've always hunted pretty close to the house on our farm so i don't have that much of a need to do it. i could see it moreso with the 3 miles into the woods scenario like jimmy described. but i don't really have the need to do it.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I was youngerI did it alot. No big deal. Boggie man never got me. Now that I need assistance to get in to the woods my wife forgets about me sometimes and forgets to come pic me up.So I have been there a couple hours after dark till she misses me.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

So I have been there a couple hours after dark till she misses me.
....(LOL)
Old 06-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was younger I did it alot. No big deal. Boggie man never got me.
But you did see him then, right? That's what you're saying - the Boggie man is real right?
I knew it! Those aren't just made up stories.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 06-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't sleep in the woods overnight anymore. I spent enough time in uniform doing that when I was young and don't feel the need to do it anymore. And besides when I was wearingthe uniform I WAS THE BOOGEYMAN!

Quick Reply: SPENDING THE NIGHT IN THE WOODS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.