HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SPENDING THE NIGHT IN THE WOODS
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Jimmy S
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SPENDING THE NIGHT IN THE WOODS

I have never done it nor has anyone in our hunting party. However, I have witnessed some fellows in Maine do this on a regular basis. They would arrive just after sunset and make their way about 3 miles in the woods. They said it would take them about 2 hrs to get where they were going. Three miles thru deep cedar swamps in Maine can be brutal, especially knowing there is no road within miles. You really have to know what you're doing.

They would setup camp, spend the night and be ready well before first light. One other thing, these hunters were all members of the Penobscot Nation - Native American Indians. I met them one evening as they were beginning to get setup. There were 5 of them.

I had heard some shooting "way off" the next morning. Just before noon, I was returning to the truck on the old loggong road owned by paper companies with my buddy. He had shot a nice buck and I helped drag it out. When we arrived at the truck, there were 4 of the hunters I met the previous evening and there were 4 beautiful bucks laying on the dirt road. They told us briefly about the deer and I then mentioned there was one member missing. No sooner has those words come out of my mouth, the last of the 5 walked out of the thickets dragging yet another buck, the biggest of them all.It was one of the biggest bucks I had ever seen. We estimated it wood dress at 235-250pounds. It was a sight I will not sson forget.

So, I guesssomething can be said for spending the entire night in the woods....at least if it's done the right way and you know whatyou're doin'.