Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dark to Dark Hunting

Old 06-28-2005, 10:20 AM

Default RE: Dark to Dark Hunting

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I hunt all day when I believe the deer are getting lots of hunting pressure, or when I believe they are rutting. More than half the deer I have killed were between 10am and 2pm including my biggest buck.
I did my first all dayers last year and it definately pays off. I saw the most and biggest bucks during that 10-2 period. You just have to have food, drink and when on stand I may get down once just to stretch and for natures calling. It was such a learning experience. "you can't get um if you aren't in the woods"
Old 06-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it before, but it is hard to stay in a stand all day, especially early in the season when the days are long. Usually we will stay in the stand until 1PM and come back around 3:30 PM. We have killed some large bucks around noon in the last couple of years.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never made it in a single stand for that length of time. I really don't think I could make it. On a couple rare occasions I've spent all day D to D, hunting, but just not in one place.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

the first day is not to bad. its the 2nd and 3rd day that is hard. kind of like a psychological warfare going on in your head. i keep debating the pros/cons of doing so. it is also hard on the body.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do it alot when hunting pressure is high. I setup close to a bedding area or at a point where several trails criss cross leading to heavy brush. When other hunters are moving the deer head for the thickest cover they can find. Thanks to all the guys who need to move!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never really done it, mainly because my spots change for morning, daytime and night hunts. Also wind direction (mostly) and weather play a part in determining where I will be when hunting that day. Close to the rut or during the rut I hunt all day if possible just not in the exact same location.

Personally when the rut is on and it comes to deer hunting I find the best part of the day is 10-3 for catching cruising bucks, so this timeframe to me is as ormore appealling than the traditional low light hours. However a lot depends on where you set up, during rut I am deep in the woods/transition areasso movement is high during this period. That said I have seen countless bucks moving in opening areas during the rut at mid day as well, just not as regularly as safe areas..basically when the rut is on all bets are off and if you can hunt this is the time that you happen upon their main character flaw....A HOT DOE!! So time spent can be rewarded at the most unexpected hour.

I saybasically hunt how you want and as much as you can. To me losing focus is never productive so pattern the movements to spend the bulk of your time in the stand/hunting your particular area when your focus, energy and zeal as it's highest. Realize what might work for some doesn'talways pertain directly to you or your area.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:16 AM

I hunt on public land in the Big Cypress Preserve in South Florida. The area is a 1 1/2 hour drive from my house. Because of my job, I mostly only can hunt on weekends. My stand locations are usually between 1/2 mile to 1 mile into the cypress swamp from the nearest road. It is a hard walk in. I do not have the option of going somewhere for lunch or a nap in the middle of the day, so when I go into the swamp I stay there.

Although our deer herd is not large, I have seen deer at all times of the day. I have shot deer at all times of the day. I climb up a tree at least a half hour before sunrise, and I usually climb down a half hour after sunset. The only other time I come down is to follow a blood trail, orto change trees because of a change of wind, or to get closer to a hotspot. Other than coming out with a deer (which is not often), dark to dark is the only way I hunt.

At times it is hard to keep my concentration, but I do enjoy watching the wildlife do what they do. And there is a lot of wildlifeto watch. I eat, drink, piss and sleep in the tree. I don't have to worry much about snakes, gators and such up there. Also, the bugs are less bothersome 25 feet in the air. Even at noontime, if I climb down to the ground the mosquitos are miserable.Sounds enchanting I know, but most days I have the swamp to myself. And like they say, if it was easy they would call it shopping.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:49 AM

When the rut is on, the first cold snap hits, and a full moon is out I will sit all day. Usually I don't move.Depends on conditions(since I use a climber) I might relocate, but rarely.Sometimes I don't even go in until first light. This way I can see what I'm doing. I do see quite a few deer stretching their legs at about 11 or so.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 PM
XTP

..depending on the area,in around the noon mark can be prime-time for big bucks...hunters often leave the woods around then and the bucks take advantage of this time to move about. I have personally taken4 good buck between 11:00 and 2:00. Thats enough to convince me that deer will move all day long. I will usually take a lunch with me or return to my truck around 2:30 if I am fixin' something there.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:39 PM

Dawn to Dusk hunting! Is there any other way?
Sure the majority of the deer I see is in the early morning and late afternoon but that doesn't mean that every deer is going to be seen at that time. After all I'm not going out in the woods to look at deer, I'm going out in the woods to hunt them.
Deer don't spend the entire daylight hours bedded down. I've always seen an increase in activity between noon and 2 PM. It's not much but they will move during that time. I'll admit that it's mostly does but occasionaly I'll see a buck out for a stroll.

The middle of the day may be boring for stand hunters but it has the advantage for hunters who hit the woods agressively. A still hunter or hunters who organize drives could still be very productive at any time of day if they hit the bedding zones where 95% of the deer are going to be.

Quick Reply: Dark to Dark Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.