Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 First season of hunting what do I need.  Using shot gun >

First season of hunting what do I need. Using shot gun

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First season of hunting what do I need. Using shot gun

Old 06-23-2005, 08:56 PM

Default First season of hunting what do I need. Using shot gun

This winter I went out and bought a Reminton 870 Super Mag. Right now I have done some skeet shooting but I have not even shot the slugs yet. I do not have a scope and I am not sure if I will be able to afford one this year. I know I have to site in the barrel. That I know is some playing.

What I am wondering is what do I need to buy to get ready for when the season starts. Right now I have the shotgun, working on permits, and I have a few deer stands. That is about it. I know I need clothing and I am not sure what to get and I need some wader boots since I have woods right on top of wetlands.

I have a Bass Pro and Gander Mountin right in my area but I will shop online. Any help would be great. I am some one who likes to buy once but if my budget can not take it then I will try to adjust.

Just going to a store they can try to rip you off soI wanted to ask you all.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 09:02 PM

Default RE: First season of hunting what do I need. Using shot gun

First off where you from and what area/weather you expect to hunt in? Nothing reinforces what you REALLYneed than spending 1 long day in the woods with what you already have. If yopur'e hunting in Saskatchewan bring the cold weater stuff. Alabama then a camo t-shirt and bug spray. For goodness sake sight the slug barrel in and be confident in it's use
Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 PM

I guess that would help. Forgot to add that. I live in northern IL and I am hunting on my own land. Shotgun season is for only two weekends. The weekend before and after thanksgiving.

Also I will be doing duck and goose if that helps any for cross over stuff.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:08 PM

Are you going to be using a rifled barrel or smooth bore? Their is a big difference regarding accuracy.

As far as treestands, you don't really need them for shotgun hunting. Just make some ground blinds from dead tree limbs, branches, ect. By sunday of either season it won't really matter. The deer get so skittish it isn't even funny. Best thing is just sit still. You will also need 400 square inches of solid blaze orange on and a blaze orange hat. I have both a ball cap and a stocking cap. Sometimes it is warm, sometimes not.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:04 AM

I have the rifled barrel. When I bought my gun I was told to get shotgun were I could change out the barrels.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 AM

Get some mossyoak breakup or realtree hd camo coveralls and 18" rubber boots in the same pattern. Also get gloves and hat. If your hunting shotgun season Im assuming it will be cold so wear layers under your coveralls. Get some odor eliminator..H.S. scents are good and maybe some estrous scent. Ive had luck with Knight and Hales estrous. The can call and grunt tube is a must in your area. Orange vest, good slugs,and maybe a camo backpack to carry calls and knives,etc.. Good luck
Old 06-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

This isn't equipment but it is surely the most important. Practice, practice, practice. Try a few different brands, types & sizes of slugs to find what works best for you & your gun.

Where are you in N. IL? I am in Will county, but go to S.IL for shotgun seasons. I bowhunt up here & some down south, too.

Don't drag your feet on applying for permits, it is already into the second lottery untim August 12th, then it's only random daily drawings for left over permits/counties September 15th thru November 7th.

Unc
Old 06-24-2005, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

This isn't equipment but it is surely the most important. Practice, practice, practice. Try a few different brands, types & sizes of slugs to find what works best for you & your gun.

Where are you in N. IL? I am in Will county, but go to S.IL for shotgun seasons. I bowhunt up here & some down south, too.

Don't drag your feet on applying for permits, it is already into the second lottery untim August 12th, then it's only random daily drawings for left over permits/counties September 15th thru November 7th.

Unc
I am in the Mchenry area. At least with the permits I am good since I am getting one for my own land. I am getting the paper work together this weekend and getting it mailed out monday.

Yea I have to get my barrell sighted in and ready to go.

I have heard to try from 25 yards and just keep on moving back to 100 yards. I think that is the most I am ever going to get for a shot if that. I am in a wooded area. I am thinking of setting up two stands that face more at the wetlands for a farther shot but in the woods I think I am going to be lucky with a 50 yard shot that will be clean.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: psychowolverine

Get some mossyoak breakup or realtree hd camo coveralls and 18" rubber boots in the same pattern. Also get gloves and hat. If your hunting shotgun season Im assuming it will be cold so wear layers under your coveralls. Get some odor eliminator..H.S. scents are good and maybe some estrous scent. Ive had luck with Knight and Hales estrous. The can call and grunt tube is a must in your area. Orange vest, good slugs,and maybe a camo backpack to carry calls and knives,etc.. Good luck
I am thinking about wait highs for the boots because with doing the fowl and with the woods being right on top of the wetlands I might have to hit some deep areas. Depending on the weather you can take one step on solid ground and the next one you are knee high in water. I did not think of the grunt tube and the back pack sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for the tips I did not think of the
Old 06-24-2005, 07:19 PM

Want some company of that hunt? I live in Cook county but normally hunt Rock Island.
But seriously, do you know of anyone who's ever hunted deer before? If so ask him to join you. Experience is more important than any piece of equipment I have or ever will buy. Getting a deer in range is the easy part, everything else that comes after the shot is the hard part. Tracking a wounded deer, gutting it, draggin it out of the woods, and finaly breaking it down into steaks and sausage is the real work.
As far as equipment goes, my advice for a newbie is this.
1 Don't worry about camo too much. Aside from a long sleved camo t-shirt I went without camo for 4 years and still got deer. I could go into the woods in a pink balerina outfit and still get deer if I used a popup blind. You could get a cheap one for about $75 that works extremely well. Get one with enough room to draw a bow in, you might pick up a bow in the future and the extra room will be nice. If you do use a popup blind remember to bring along a folding chair with a backrest. Make sure it doesn't squeek.
2 Get a scent elimination kit. They sell for about $20 or so and include soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, foot powder, and spray that will cut down your scent. If a deer is going to bust you it will be with their nose 80% of the time.
3 Be safe, get blaze orange. A vest and hat is plenty if you hunt on private property.
4 Get good warm boots. Trust me on that one. The best hunters are out there from dawn to dusk and you can't do that in November if your feet are frozen.
5 A grunt call and doe scent can help. Get a call that won't freeze up and only buy fresh doe scent from this year.
6 Get a few boxes of shells, a life size paper target and practice practice practice. The scope won't make a bad shooter a good one. Iron sights can be used for under 100 yards but keep it within 50 to be sure. Wal-Mart sells some cheap scopes that work pretty well. Don't get anything more powerfull than a 3-9x. I use a 1-4x on my rifle when I hunt up in Michigan and I can still take them out to 200+ yards.

Quick Reply: First season of hunting what do I need. Using shot gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.