Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

food plot update

Old 06-18-2005, 09:07 AM

Default food plot update

After anything that could go wrong went wrong, we finally have our food plots in and sprayed. We planted Round Up ready corn and soybeans, Ladino clover and a clover mix. after we sprayed some corn one day, it rained. Turns out it was ok. All the weeds in that field are dead, the corn is healthy. Our corn and beans that got sprayed last week look great too, all the weeds are dead. We didn't spray a little dab of corn we have, so its getting dug up in august so we can plant Buck Forage Oats. The Ladino Clover came in well and is doing well. the mix of clover has been overtaken by weeds so we don't know how that will turn out. we're hoping it gets established this year and does well next year. I placed some salt rock out too in some spots, the deer are just tearing it up.we're almost out, after we started out with 300 lbs last year, so an order has been placed for some more. this fall, we'll have the only standing corn in this area, and it should draw the deer in from the neighbors as well as the no hunting federal monument area that surrounds us on two sides.

slayer
Old 06-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: food plot update

I just cant bring myself to spray poison on the plot where the deer eat I eat. My as well go to the grocery store and eat that poisoned meat
Old 06-19-2005, 07:46 AM

Default RE: food plot update

Round up is supposed to be pretty safe - it's an effectiveplant killer.