Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer season cancelled!

Old 06-08-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Deer season cancelled!

My story keeps getting worse. If you read the 12 Ga. Close in Killing thread you know I was attacked by dogs and got busted up. MRI on my shoulder revealed a complete rotator cuff tear that will require surgery to fix and an expected 6 -12 MONTH rehab. When I told the Dr.'s I was a skeet shooter (150 rounds a week) and a deer hunter (bow and gun) they shook their heads and said, "not this year you aren't". They have forbidden me to draw my bow or shoot anything for a long long time.

I am utterly devastated. The thought of losing an entire deer season is my worst nightmare come true.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer season cancelled!

Sorry to hear that,
first i hope you re-coup quickly,
are there any alternatives for you?
if your right handed, can you try left handed?
higher gauge shotgun?
or lower caliber rifle?
all else fails, can you clean and cook game others hunt?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am truely sorry to hear that. Did you find out who the dogs owners were?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:00 PM

Zoomer, I had rotator cuff surgery two years ago. I was lucky that my doctor let me put it off until after deer season in January. I forgot what the muscle was called but I tore it completely off of the top of the humerous bone. It hurt every day but I got through the season. So I guess I am saying to try and put it off if you can. Once you have surgery, moving that arm will be the last thing on your mind. Mine was strapped to my side for 6 weeks. I couldnt even wash my armpit for a month. EWWWW! Six months later I was shooting my guns and drawing my bow getting ready for the season again. Just work hard in rehab and you will get it back. Be very careful with it until you get the OK that you can use it again. If you screw up any of the repairs they did, they will just have to go back in there and you will be down for another six months. (That was the big warning my doctor kept giving me whenever I asked if I could shoot again. LOL)

And another thing, if you need a doctors note for a crossbow permit, make sure you get it then. I got the permit even though I still use a compound bow. It's just nice to know I don't have to go through a lot of BS for a premit whenever the time comes that I can't draw my bow back anymore.

And one more thing, make sure you target practice on those damn dogs for deer season.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Thats horrible, sorry to hear that, does your state allow handicap hutner to use crossbows, I knwo in PA you can apply for a permit.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Spike

Sorry for your injury.

Just a silly question. If you hunt with a rifle, can you learn to shoot off-hand between now and the season. If you have surgery soon, by November, you should be able to handle the recoil of a rifle on your opposite shoulder. You would just need the strenth to rest the rifle. It may not be as long, but it gets you in the woods.

I guess the other option is to buy a video camera or still camera and shoot some film for the season. It may not be ideal, but you will be in the woods.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

X-bow
Old 06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Zoomer
I am utterly devastated. The thought of losing an entire deer season is my worst nightmare come true.
Permanently losing any further use of my arm would be my worst nightmare .

Hunting is a hobby , an arm is a much more important part of your life . Do what they tell you , especially the PT , no matter how it hurts .
Old 06-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope your lawer ( shark) gets you extra money for the pain and suffering from the lose .

I think you should ask for $$ to pay for the lose of meat.

Johnch
Old 06-08-2005, 05:10 PM

Foremost - my medical condition takes priority. I am still going to Doctors, 3 today!!! The cops found the owner of the dogs and I have started talks with attorneys working on that end of it. Who knows, I might invite all of you for "Zoomer's 5 Day South Texas Barbeque and Big Rack Blast-Em Party"!

Quick Reply: Deer season cancelled!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.