Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What I absolutely HATE!!!!

Old 06-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default What I absolutely HATE!!!!

The other day I was in a local Dicks Sporting Goods and i asked one of the employee's about using the whitetail institutes 30-06 mineral and his response was "Oh yeah they'll love the little greens that will grow out of that." I didnt even waste my breath explaining to the guy that it was not seed for a food plot, the point im tryign to make is how can you put somebody in a hunting department that knows absolutely NOTHING abotu the sport???
Old 06-05-2005, 10:18 PM

Default RE: What I absolutely HATE!!!!

It is very simple. They have a position that needs to be filled. They fill it with the first qualified person. Qualified has nothing to do with the knowledge of what they have to sell. I worked in a retail store for several years through college. I was put in the agriculture department. Animal health to be exact. I knew NOTHING about that stuff. But you learn quickly. Some stores also utilize "floaters". They are employees that float around departments, where they are needed. They are just covering for someone who is sick, has the day off, or is at lunch. As much as we would like to see knowledgable employees, it can not always work that way. That is why it is the consumers responsibilty to know exactly what they want.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sign of times. they cant count change either if the cash register isn't working
Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 AM

It is based on the pay scale. Retail pay is low compared to most. Yes it would be nice to know these employees have knowledge of what we want however they do not get paid for their knowledge. The average Hunter could not work in a place like this and still afford to hunt (unless they received one heck of a discount). Now if this person were to receive commission, well then you can bet they would learn everything they could to gain more sales.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

They could train them...and you'd pay 20% more for everything in the store, then.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

I shop at Dicks Sporting Goods all the time but ONLY if I know what I want. A few years ago I had one of their "hunting experts" try to sell me a .22 Mag as an "excellent rifle for deer". Since that I came to realize they don't know a thing.

The only way to shop at these type of do-it all sporting goods stores is to be a highly educated consumer.....
Old 06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the ground has pretty well been worked over on this one. Yah, they don't know spit, so you better take the trouble to inform yourself rather than rely upon them. And indeed it would cost more if they had to train these people. Speaking for myself, I would rather have the cheaper prices for the brand name goods.

By the way, "Deer Institute .30-06 mineral," what the heck is that? Lead with a little copper alloy wrapped around it to control expansion? You have to admit that was just a little misleading! Or is that a bonafide mineral supplement to increase antler growth?
Old 06-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I worked at a hardware store when I was in college. People would get upset when you don't know the exact answer to a plumbing or electrical question. It's not like ACE could afford to pay a plumber $20/hour to work in their plubming department. It's been my personal experience that store salespeople can help you find something, but you need to know what you're looking for.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:57 PM

Thats a chain store for ya.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:01 AM

Yup, there are exceptions but most of the big box stores are full of idiots.

Regarding you question, I've tried both the 30.06 as well as the 30.06 protein. When you first put is out it has a sweet odor and seems to attract deer. After a couple of rains it looses that odor and seems to lose it's appeal. The deer have hit it but not like I'd expect them to for the price but the deer in your area responde diffrently. I have had good luck with deer cocain(deer dug a hole to get it out of the ground) but it has little nutritional vaule. I'm thinking of adding the 30.06 to the site of the cocain to see if it will "fool" the deer into consuming it although I have my doubts.

I hope this helps a little to make an informed decision. I've found deer atractants that work but little in the way of mineralized nutrition that deer prefer.

Quick Reply: What I absolutely HATE!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.