Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

And the second caliver is....

Old 05-28-2005, 07:02 AM

Default And the second caliver is....

Looks like I'm going to buy a couple of Winchester 94's -- just love those cowboy guns and they are compact for the woods I will be hunting in. My question is this, one will be a 30-30, but should I get the other in .357, .44 mag, or 45 colt? Of course the .357 is probably the most economical to shoot target practice with and I wonder about the long-term availability of good ammo for the colt -- is it a dying breed? I also question whether I need the larger/more powerful caliber. I will probably use the 30-30 for most of my hunting, but would like the second gun to be viable as well. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2005, 07:31 AM

Default RE: And the second caliver is....

Any of those caibers will work, and have the added advantage of being able to carry a sidearm in the same caliber as the rifle. I know some cowboy shooters who have had trouble with the 45 LC in lever guns - make sure it'll feed and eject before buying if you decide on that one.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

for the second i would probably choose the 44. of course i'm kinda biased. i own the trapper version in 44 and i love it. it's a great little gun, but it does have some recoil.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:32 PM

Do they still chamber for the 7mm Waters?