Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle question??

Old 05-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifle question??

I know this is more suited for the gun forum and I did post it there but I thought I might as well post it both places to increase my chance of getting responses... I am looking to get a new rifle. I dont have a lot of money and I think I want to get the Remington model 710 or possibly the Mossberg 100ATR. Here is my question, I will mostly be hunting whitetail and coyote. There is a chance I may want to hunt Mule deer or antelope as well. I dont have the money to get 2 rifles right now. Here is the sight for the Remington gun. Check the calibers at the bottom and let me know which you would suggest for me... http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/fi_710.htm ...Or if there is another caliber that you think would suit my needs better. Also tell me what the differences between these calibers would be as far as range and power. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle question??

A better rifle than both and in the same price range , Savage Stevens 200 at $316 MSRP . ( and I know if you look ,cheaper)
It is basicly a 110 action without the Acu Trigger in a syn stock.
They list 5 choices ,not 2.
Savage rifles are known for out of the box accurey.
Are a proven design.

My choice would be 30-06 .

Johnch
Old 05-21-2005, 06:01 PM

I agree with john on the calibur choice, 30-06; but i am not as much of a savage rifle buff as some on the page. There recoil (the 2 i have owned, 7mm and 270) is much greater and there syn stocks leave MUCH to be desired.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

90 percent of what I have heard about the 710 is bad. I would stay away for them. The Savage is a much better rifle. You can buy a new NEF single shot for right around 200.00 at Walmart. Get one in 7mm-08 and you will have a great rifle well suited for North American hunting. I have a whole herd Of NEF handi rifles.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:20 PM

Whitetail and Coyote - thats a tough one. As a long time -06 shooter (Ruger M77 and I love it) I might be tempted for the 25-06. I wont purchase another Remington product as long as I live....sorry personal preference. .243 is nice too - but not enough for deer in my opinion... Damn - load up the GE minigun and kill everything!
Old 05-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Remington 710 is the biggest pieces of junk Remington has put out!
Remington might still put out some good guns, but the 710 and 597, .22 ain't them!
Get a Savage and you'll get a good deal!
Old 05-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jep Save your money until you can purchase a Remington 700. Go to a shop and cycle a Savage, Ruger, Winchester and then a 700 Remington. It's a no brainer. No slop, well machined and quality from top to bottom. Don't waste you money on the cheap junk. Save up and get the best the first time. You'll be glad you did.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Jep Save your money until you can purchase a Remington 700. Go to a shop and cycle a Savage, Ruger, Winchester and then a 700 Remington. It's a no brainer. No slop, well machined and quality from top to bottom. Don't waste you money on the cheap junk. Save up and get the best the first time. You'll be glad you did.
that's exactly what i was going to say. thats what i'm going to do. i would definately recommend the 30-06 as the others said. its a really good caliber. it'll take care of yotes and deer and pretty much anything else.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:08 AM

There are reports of the 710 bolts flying back and impacting shooters faces. I'd stay away from that gun.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would check some of the big pawn and gun shops and see if I could find a good used 700 in .270 or so caliber. You may be able to find one that has a quality scope already mounted on it and a quality scope to me is more important than a new gun.

Quick Reply: Rifle question??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.