Community
White Knuckle Productions The Official White Knuckle Productions Forum.

Should I go HD now?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Spike

Default Should I go HD now?

Need some help guys...I'm looking into investing in my first pro camera and I had my sights set on a Sony PD170. I really liked the low light capabilities and XLR inputs. Most of my hunting is archery related, so a 12x zoom should be fine. Plus the fact that it comes with a shotgun mic and wide angle lens (all for $2500), seemed like a no-brainer.

Now the more I read, I wonder if I wouldn't be foolish to invest in an HD camera from the start. I really don't want to buy another camera next year...or even 2-3 years down the road. Problem is, the HD Canon XH-A1 ($3,300) hasn't gotten very good low-light reviews and the Sony HVR-Z1U ($4,600) is starting to get out of my price range. Then I would still have to add a shotgun mic and wireless system to boot. I'm not sure about the HD computer/editing requirements, but I'm guessing I'd have to beef up my system there too.

Can anybody give me some opinions and things to consider when jumping to HD? Would I be getting in over my head, or do I owe it to myself to start laying down HD footage from the start? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I go HD now?

HD is inevitible - but most production companies (video) haven't made the jump quite yet, at-least not the full teams.

Besides the issues with Low-light, HD tapes are about $10.00 each. This adds quite a cost as well.

To get started, I'd highly recommend going into a camera like the PD-170 (Find one used), and getting the other equipment (camera arm - wireless mics - tri-pod - zoom controller - waterproof cover). That way if you like filming, you can always make an upgrade to an HD camera, and have the other "expensive junk" to go along with it!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Spike

Default RE: Should I go HD now?

That makes sense, thanks for the advice Todd.