HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should I go HD now?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Kybar
Spike

Default Should I go HD now?

Need some help guys...I'm looking into investing in my first pro camera and I had my sights set on a Sony PD170. I really liked the low light capabilities and XLR inputs. Most of my hunting is archery related, so a 12x zoom should be fine. Plus the fact that it comes with a shotgun mic and wide angle lens (all for $2500), seemed like a no-brainer.

Now the more I read, I wonder if I wouldn't be foolish to invest in an HD camera from the start. I really don't want to buy another camera next year...or even 2-3 years down the road. Problem is, the HD Canon XH-A1 ($3,300) hasn't gotten very good low-light reviews and the Sony HVR-Z1U ($4,600) is starting to get out of my price range. Then I would still have to add a shotgun mic and wireless system to boot. I'm not sure about the HD computer/editing requirements, but I'm guessing I'd have to beef up my system there too.

Can anybody give me some opinions and things to consider when jumping to HD? Would I be getting in over my head, or do I owe it to myself to start laying down HD footage from the start? Thanks in advance!