Trophy mulies? >

Trophy mulies?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Trophy mulies?

Old 04-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trophy mulies?

A couple of Nevada's top units have been doing the same thing... living off reputation but slowly rebuilding... thanks NDOW for transplanting Elk into the premier units!
I beg to differ with you on the fact that the elk are the problem for the decline of quality deer in any state, Nevada or otherwise. Some of the best bucks AND bulls come from the same units, or other units that are very close to each other. Elk eat totally different food than deer do. Elk are a grazer, deer are a browser. The major browse species (ie: sagebrush) has been burned or illiminated in major portions of mule deer range. The grasses have grown in on top, and the elk thrive. Drought also has a big part to do also. I am not meaning just Nevada either, but all of the western states that have been plagued by fire, drought, and all the other factors that negatively affect mule deer.

Now, with that aside, the places I would have to pick for getting on a truly large mule deer would have to be NW Colorado, Alberta, BC, and very select parts of Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Utah, and little honey holes in the rest of the states out west. Look up draw odds. I would bet money that the hardest areas to draw every year in most states in most areas also produce the largest bucks on the whole, though every unit surely has its few deer that never get seen and get to grow to enourmous sizes.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:07 AM
jjo

i was thinking about a mule deer hunt it sounds like they are in decline. mrbriggs are you thiking about an outfitter? i'm just starting to look into all this. i'm thinking may-be 06. i don't know which state or area either. i'm from mass. and there are so many outfitters its hard to sort it all out.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:59 PM

Charlie - I have to side w/ spyro on the issue of Elk/deer conflict. Whitetails are grazers also, but they will DECIMATE the mule deer population. Not very may people want to admitt it but the time correlation between the reintroduction of Elk and the decline of the mule deer cant be denied. There are other factors involved from region to region, but Elk reintroduction/expansion is common to most.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

NVMIKE - I will buy that, the elk upswing, and deer downswing. But, then I ask, (and not trying to argue your point), what is the common denominator, then, that allows for whitetails, and or elk to thrive, and cause the mule deer population to decline? I think in the case of elk, a big one is water, not entirely food sources. But what about whitetailed deer? What causes them to thrive in areas where mule deer have historically been? Just not making sense at all.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mrbriggs

Wyoming? Any areas of mule deer actually doing well and producting record bucks? TIA
Regions G & H on the western side of Wyoming are still producing good, quality bucks. It is down the past few years and the herd is hurting, but good bucks are still to be had. Hunt hard and get back in the country and the solid bucks are still back there.

My 2 cents
Old 05-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being from Idaho I have shot a couple of respectable mulies! But if I were to choose one place to hunt it would be the Arizona Strip! That's where I would look into!
Old 05-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

muliefever,

im looking into the strip! can ya get me the tag?

brad
Old 05-21-2005, 09:31 PM

MB - I know I'm late here but have you checked out "Popeye" out near Kemmerer (Pronounced Kehmer not er er). Actually he's landlocked on public land but winters on (during hunt season naturally) Private land . 40+" outside with plenty of garbage and "perfect backs and fronts". Eastmans featured his daddy on one of their films. There's a whole lots of Legend Mulies out of that area. Plus out of Riverton Last year (2004 season) a 30 plus world record non typ taken by rifle. In my little area near Casper I have my eye on a 30+" 4X4 with lots of garbage and two 15" drop tines. They are out there folks but you have to do a BUNCH of scouting before you see them. OR (fortunately for me) Have a few landowner friends to help you out.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:35 PM

I'm from Kemmerer... or Kem-er-er-er-er

Anyway, I thought they figured Popeye died last year. Didn't see him on the winter range this year, etc. I'm one of those crazies that would chase after his drops every year. Me and about 1/2 of Kemmerer and Big Piney!!
Old 05-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well I dont know about trophys but this one was taken in Washington state in the late general archery season. By my hunting partner in Nov. 2003 and is pending state Record for Non Typ archery mule deer
The buck Net scored 191 6/8 inches

Quick Reply: Trophy mulies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.