Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 how did your elk hunting go this year? >

how did your elk hunting go this year?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

how did your elk hunting go this year?

Old 11-27-2004, 02:20 PM

Default RE: how did your elk hunting go this year?

Had a nice hunt in Arizona took a nice bull 8x7 really nice on one side and messed up on the other side like when he was younger was hit by a car or something kind of cool looking I boiled his skull out looks pretty neat. Seen lots of great bulls taken all over the state another good elk year in Arizona.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:43 PM

Congrats on your bull elkfreak, had a nice hunt this year even though did'nt put any elk in the freezer. Seen several bulls, and blew a shot on a big 6pt. Worked on him for over an hour and he finally came down the hill to challenge me, my arrow deflected on one little branch, which I thought I could get by w/o hitting it with my arrow.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Robinhood36---Ouch!! I hate when that happens. At least the bull walked away unscathed. I know from previous threads you normally are quite successful on the elk! Did you not get the opprtunities to hunt as much this year? Were the wolves an issue at all in your area? They sure are getting to be a handful in these parts.-- We're having to work extra hard to get into the bulls these days as in the past. Later--ElkNut1
Old 11-30-2004, 09:28 AM

elknut,
My boy and I went for 10 days, it was just plain tough on calling bulls in this year w/i bow range, seem to be a bit smarter on coming in or answering the calls, not sure if the elk are just getting a bit educated on the calling or with the wolves in the area, seem to be a bit shy. Did alot of hunting with my son and he finally had a bull come down the hill broad side 20 yards, and I stayed back calling and raking a tree, he got so excited he shot right over his back, 5 pt. bull, he came up to me and admitted he got some buck fever and used the wrong pin., I said if we did'nt get a bit excited we would'nt enjoy hunting so much.
On another outing with my boy we were cowcalling and we had a wolf come up w/i 15 yards of us, not sure if he seen us or smelled us but he sure bolted. In the ten days we came across the remains of 10 elk, 3 bulls and the rest were cows and calves, assuming predator kills, my brothers were bowhunting and found a coyote torn to shreds, I have heard wolves will run down and kill a coyote.
Congrats to you and your son also on your successful elk hunt, I sure enjoy hunting with my son and sharing our time together...
RobinHood36
Old 12-05-2004, 08:15 PM

yeah this year it was tough and didnt bag a single animal this year and it seems like anything that could possibly go wrong on a hunt it did happen. I hunted in my state of CA and didnt get a deer. Ran into a lot of does didnt see a single buck but we spotted a couple does bedded down in some bushes and lo and behold some moronic hunter walks down there and spooks the does and another deer ( dont know if it was a buck ). Later on the next day as the day was almost over we were sitting in the truck glassing around and spotted a buck but it was unclear whether it was a legal buck or not. Looked like a spike couldnt tell then his head turns and the buck had a fork on one side so I was all excited and got out of the truck and fell into a ditch and spooked the buck after cussing at myself a couple weeks later I head to beautiful colorado with my third season Bull tag and Buck tag. When i got there it was snowing like no tomm. not a deer in site and no elk either. We head down to lower land and not a thing either so we go back up and i got out of the truck walked around and spotted a nice fat doe but some people were on top of us already. So we drove to another area and spotted approximatly 10 cow elk and we stood there for a good hour just hoping a Bull would walk out of the bushes somewhere. I decided to look on another part of the mountain and looked back no cow in sight nada. Knew they were bedded in and were not going anywhere. We really didnt see any real animal movement till the last hour of the hunting trip when the sun finally broke out in three or four days and deer were crawling everywhere spotted at least 15 bucks in that one hour span but there was only one problem folks..... PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!

anyway went home empty-handed and that has never happened! but it only shows that hunting is surely a challenge! I will get em next year!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:04 AM

Yeah i saw a lot of elk this year. I got with in 25 yards of bull two times, but to no avail. Just couldn't get a ethical shot to work out... I am going back up this weekend, and all of next week with my bow for some late season action. I am going to hunt the St. Joe area, hopefully my group will get some animals.

If all else fails, at least i got my buck.

IDAHO
Old 12-13-2004, 12:53 AM

good luck!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

a 5 point bull for me
Old 12-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

I got a cow in September bow season. She had a 6x6 bull about 20 yards behind her but I took the 18 yard shot she offered since the bull was nice but not great (260ish). That was on the 14th day of a solo backpack hunt. I had 3 different 300 bulls within 50 yards, the biggest (a 320-330 brute) at 35 yards. That's still 5 yards out of my personal range so I hunkered there and shook like a ... well, like a bowhunter with a 330 bull 35 yards away!
Old 12-15-2004, 07:48 PM

DIRT2 WHAT STATE DID YOU HUNT?

Quick Reply: how did your elk hunting go this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.