HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   how did your elk hunting go this year? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/78562-how-did-your-elk-hunting-go-year.html)

elk_freak99 11-09-2004 08:25 PM

how did your elk hunting go this year?

I haven't been here for a while, life has been too busy lately. However I was fortunate enough to harvest a nice 4x4 bull elk. I was just wondering how the rest of Idaho hunters and others have done this year.

hillbillyhunter1 11-10-2004 05:26 PM

RE: how did your elk hunting go this year?

nothing so far--leaing again tomorrow for 5 days

Rich Baker 11-14-2004 10:21 AM

I have mixed feelings on this years Oregon Bow elk season. I only saw one shooter and this was it.

elknut1 11-14-2004 01:47 PM

I live in the West Centeral part the state, and my son and I each took 5-points.

Good job on the other critters guys, and good luck to those still pursuing them!!! ElkNut1

j3k2c1 11-14-2004 02:02 PM

that is a huge cat! How big was he?!

huntress206 11-15-2004 05:47 AM

Mine's been awesome.

Set up the hunt on my own and tookmy first elk, a cow, first hour of the first day of season. Colorado is too beautiful.

And Saturday I harvested an 8-point whitetail that had the smallest rack ever on a ~180 lb body! Regardless, my season thus far has been blessed.

Good luck to y'all who are out hunting as we speak!

Kimberly

GooseHunter Jr. 11-15-2004 01:44 PM

Took a deer while elk hunting...did not even see an elk alot of deer though.

Have 2 Hunt 11-15-2004 06:55 PM

Well to sum up my Western Wasington elk season I would have to say it was fun but frustrating. Until this year I was 4 bulls in the last 5 years, that average is down a little now. We never got a single bull between 7 hunters. We did fill a couple cow tags though. When I left for elk camp I drove by 3 legal (3+ point) bulls within a mile of my house and drove an hour to my usual hunting grounds. The herd by my house roams various private land of mine and my neighbors, most of witch they are protected on. I just heard that opening morning some idiot stoped and shot one of the bulls in a heavily posted field they had been in for weeks. He and two others were immediatly arrested. then the elk were unmolested until my return on Saturday. Sunday morning they wandered onto one of the few neighbors property they would be shot on and one bull was wounded and a cow inadvertantly killed then they went to another property where the other was killed. Where the 2 where shot is an extremely unsafe place to shoot with houses and stock in every direction. The game dept. was already there and scooped up the moron fleeing the scene of the dead cow. I have never seen so much ignorance in my life. On the bright side though when I talked to the game warden to ask about the wounded bull to see if I needed to look for it on my property because that is the way they leave the area. He told me they had already finished him off and were looking for someone with a cow tag to take the cow. I gave him the name and number of the person in my hunting party that had an unfilled cow tag. The cow season had already ended but he called him and we got to go pick it up. They had already gutted it and cut off the head for testing, and they even helped us load it. So I guess there was a small bright spot to an extremely screwed up situation. I saw a lot of people that give hunters a bad name and I shure wish they could give tickets for chronic stupidity because they would have run out of paper. The only thing that would have ticked me off worse than the ignorance though would be see that cow go to waste. The Washington game wardens were sure great though and I did have fun at elk camp.

Elkcrazy8 11-21-2004 10:09 AM

elk freak99, I thought maybe you got harvested. Nice to see you are still around. Our guys took 5 bulls and one cow this year. It was a great season with plenty of elk around. I hunted some other species this year also. I manged to take a bull, muley buck, antelope buck, and a turkey this year. It has been a year for the history books. Just think, only 9 mths. until elk season. Yee Haa......

trapper T 11-25-2004 10:25 AM

NICE CAT!!!!!!...well if you can thin those critters out abit...your Elk will make a comeback...;)

I had them buglin all around me but they busted us...first time I could hunt during the rut. I went to M/L. But I'm eatin' tag again for the winter.....Next year!