Fawns still in spots? >

Fawns still in spots?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Fawns still in spots?

Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fawns still in spots?

Went scouting last weekend and came across two different fawns that still were small and had spots. Does this mean that there is a poor buck/doe ratio in this unit? Just a fluke? Just to clarify this was in the same hunting unit, but many, many miles apart so it wasn't like the bucks just overlooked a couple of does in the same area. Opinions?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fawns still in spots?

Without knowing specifics, the short answer is maybe. There could be a number of explanations for late fawning. There could be weather influences causing a late rut, buck/doe ratios could be off causing the breeding season to be extended, or just a few occurances of this making it look like there is a problem. In a perfect world, the primary breeding season will be confined to a week or so, but we don't live in a perfect world. I'd contact the local biologist and ask him. He may know more details to the cause in that area.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:21 PM

I was just in Montana last week fishing and saw lots of mule and white tail deer fawns with spots. these were very late season fawns still quite small and with their moms
Old 08-13-2004, 12:20 PM

last weekend I saw several fawns with spots still, not uncommon at all. also saw lots of bucks and big bucks. cottonwood pass area the deer are in their summer color, deep reddish brown. pretty easy to spot from a distance. over next couple months the color will change to more a tan and the fawn spots will be gone by Oct.