Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 western washington bear >

western washington bear

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

western washington bear

Old 07-07-2004, 11:21 AM

Default western washington bear

Just seeing who all hunting bear on the westside.
I have never tried and unless im reading the regs wrong the season is coming up?
how do you guys hunt em? preditor calls?
any info would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Shaun
Old 07-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: western washington bear

Find clear cuts with alot of feed in them. Thats how we hunt them. Just sit and glass them for a little while.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Even though illegal, some use dogs. Or make it legal and get permits to run their dogs. I think Weyerhauser has something with the state to give certain dog hunters permits so they can hunt on Weyerhauser land legally...Many other hunters stand hunt or "stump" hunt. Just find a stump or something to rest on that over looks an area where you have been seeing bear. For this approach it's best to find a feeding area such a salmonberry, hucklyberry, or cascara patches are good spots. Other hunters drive around in hopes of just seeing one and sometimes this works well. Log truck drivers see bears more than anyone and they are just driving around, lol. Good Luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:48 PM
pch

I just started hunting black bear last season in the Cascades. It seems much better when
the blueberrrys are in. The meat taste better too.

Phil
Old 07-07-2004, 04:53 PM

I am going to try the fawn or calf elk in distress call this year
Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 PM
pch

tomr1962 -
I hope this isn't to bold of a question, what general area are you going to?

Phil

I mean cascades, blues, or okanogan?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: BrushChimp

Even though illegal, some use dogs. Or make it legal and get permits to run their dogs. I think Weyerhauser has something with the state to give certain dog hunters permits so they can hunt on Weyerhauser land legally...Many other hunters stand hunt or "stump" hunt. Just find a stump or something to rest on that over looks an area where you have been seeing bear. For this approach it's best to find a feeding area such a salmonberry, hucklyberry, or cascara patches are good spots. Other hunters drive around in hopes of just seeing one and sometimes this works well. Log truck drivers see bears more than anyone and they are just driving around, lol. Good Luck.
Also on a lot of Weyerhauser land they still have up "bear feeding" stations, usually an old 55 gallon drum they use to feed them so they won't damage as many trees. If they still use them, I'd suggest banging on the side of it and sit back and wait? May get lucky.

Most usually spot and stalk or just sit over an area. I got a spot that is nothing but Mt. Huckleberries and they just crowd in there when the berries are on. Although I only seen one during daylight, 2 weeks before season. But my inlaws got one chasing their dog. So I'll set up a tree stand and maybe spill a box of Krispy Kremes...OOOppps.[8D]
Old 07-08-2004, 01:01 PM

Thanks for all the replys guys.
Im not trying to get anybodies spots but where are you all going this season?
Anybody ever see any bears up in capitol forest or satsop area?

Shaun
Old 07-08-2004, 01:22 PM
pch

Hey shaunpm,
I'm going to the alpine lakes wilderness area. I have heard that the blue mountains are very good. I just don't want to drive that far. I use to, but that is when my cousin was in Lewiston ID.

PhilH
Old 07-08-2004, 09:52 PM

Shaun...you'll find them up there, do some scoutin and I think you'll be able to run into one.

My Dad just told me about one they run into just about everyday. They're guesstimating him at about 400-460lbs And he's gonna set me up on him

Gonna try him with my new Smokepole[8D]

Quick Reply: western washington bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.