Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Alaskans, little help please. >

Alaskans, little help please.

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaskans, little help please.

Old 02-14-2002, 08:59 AM

Default Alaskans, little help please.

OK...All you nice Alaska folks let me tell you about our sports show. Me and my better half we're walking around looking at all of the outfitters,and vendors, and my wife saw that this one outfitter from Craig AK. offered whale watching along with his fishing and hunting trips. Well over we go to talk to the gentelman. Now let me say this I've always wanted to hunt your great state, but I can find bear hunting a little closer, so warming up the wife to another hunting trip that far away, well you know!
So a hunt with whales and the wife along, it all seemed to good! It was! So as we got to the booth this young man with shabby hair, two days growth of beard, beaded necklace,and an eyebrow ring, meets us and ask if he can help.
He explains that for $5,000.00 dollars he can take me and my wife on a boat to see whales and fish if we want to.I ask about when we would hunt, he said " Well we will look for bears on the shoreline as we fish, if we see any I'll take you in and drop you off to hunt em." So I ask the young man "Do you bear hunt?" He tells me "no" never has.
Man was I impressed!! So my question is this does anybody know a good outfitter that offers whales and hunting for less than an arm and a leg ? I could live without the whales but I'd like to stay married.
And really would like to come up and see your beautiful state. Thanks gang!

Old 02-14-2002, 10:16 AM

Default RE: Alaskans, little help please.

I have never heard of an outfitter that while hunting will watch whales or vice versa. They may exist, but it is wishful thinking to get all of that wrapped into one. Possible? yes. likely? My guess is no. Some of the other guys might know some outfitters that would do it or have better info for you.
beej
Old 02-14-2002, 05:27 PM

Scottsman

It isn't unusual to see whales while bearhunting in SE Alaska, moreover it isn't unusual to see whales while you are fishing. Around Sitka and other parts of SE Alaska this is how they hunt bears, from large fishing boats and skiffs. Your fishing will be primarly for salmon and halibut, while you can even get in on dropping crab baskets for a fresh seafood dinner. SE Alaska has both black bear and brown bear, so you could do a combo if you were interested. The best person I could recommend is Johnny Laird. His website is www.muskegexcursions.com He runs a class A operation. You may also find him a bit more "Alaskan" than the eyebrow pierced kid at your sports show. He has been bear hunting for a loooooonnnngggg time. Hope this helps.

Jim

Edited by - dalliwacker on 02/14/2002 18:29:41
Old 02-14-2002, 08:58 PM

dalli.. thanks, hard for me to buy a hunting trip from a guy that don't hunt.
I know why he was a fisherman,he had his best lure in his face.
Thank again.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will put another shoe in for Johnny, I have been reading some of the stories written in the past couple years. If he takes all of his clients to places like these I dont think you would find a bigger blackie, some of them were HUUUUGE...heck the average ones were as big as a good sized Mn bear! Dont come into the interior for blackies imo you are waisting your time! Also try and find a good charter on the north side of Kuiu Island...good chances at a biggun there too. I have another place I was looking into, shoot me an email if your interested.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:44 AM

Man, what a miserable excuse for a representative of a guiding service for the Prince of Wales/Craig area! He actually SAID he wasn't a hunter and his plan was to just drop you off on the beach and leave you to make the best of the situation if you saw a bear?

I guess if nothing else we can give him points for honesty! But what makes my hair stand up is that he may even acquire some customers with this lame excuse for a chance at a bear on the beach. I know the Spring black bear hunting drill on islands pretty well and this scenario doesn't sound very familiar, very safe [or professional] to me IMHO.

There are many very successful and reputable guides here in Southeast Alaska. This operation doesn't appear to be among that group. I have some very good black and brown bear guiding friends that work out of Sitka that I will put you in contact with. The whales and the fishing are all integral parts of their operations - you design your hunt and let them know your wishes and they will try their best to satisfy you. Drop me an email and I would be glad to pass along phone numbers and email addresses.

Your encounter is embarassing to someone who knows how hard the guiding professionals in Alaska work to help and satisfy their hunting (and fishing) clients. Image isn't "always" a good recommendation, but I've found the operations that are most successful and have the most repeat customers work hard on appearance and clear, concise information for the prospective customer.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:53 AM

Hey Dalli, that site's not working anymore, got a No.#. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2002, 11:31 AM

Scottsman

Johnnie is in the process of updating the webpage. He had this posted there.

February 14, 2002

Welcome to our new website. We are still working on it.

I have 1 Brown Bear hunt available for 1 hunter. It can be scheduled for Spring or Fall. I have added a BROWN BEAR page in 'my back pages' which can be found on the "hunt reports" link. This page has dates, rates and information on my Brown Bear hunt offerings.

Check out the "hunt reports" link to see my updated BLACK BEAR dates for spring; pic links; story links and more.

The wind is kicking it up and the hard rains have returned. The snow line is just up the hill.

During Jan '02 we had a total of 9.71 inches of rain. A little below the almost 12 inch average. That came in 26 days of precipitation. The hottest day was 51 and the temperature bottomed out at 10 one night.

Johnnie

Here is his info...

Johnnie Laird
Muskeg Excursions
PO Box 9513
Ketchikan, AK 99901-9513

Tel. (907) 225-9513

[email protected]

Keep trying the site, he just had it down for construction.

Jim