Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

ELK DILEMA

Old 11-04-2003, 09:43 AM

Default ELK DILEMA

I recently got permission to hunt elk on some private property in southwestern Colorado. I found out that it takes 2-3 preference points to draw a muzzleloader tag in this unit and 1 point to draw a 4th season tag. I' m trying to figure out if I should go for the quicker 4th season tag or if I should try for the muzzleloader tag since it typically offers better odds at harvesting a larger bull? But I could probably go on two 4th season hunts in the time that it would take me to draw a muzzleloader tag?[] Help!!!!! What should I do?
Old 11-07-2003, 09:26 AM

Default RE: ELK DILEMA

Is your goal to take ' an' elk or to take a ' big' elk.
Once you answer that question for yourself you probably have your answer.
Good luck.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:50 AM

I could be wrong but aren' t CO pref points by season/weapon.

I had to accumulate points for a archery tag in area 24 but could have been applying separetly for a gun or muzzleloader tag.
If I recall you could apply specifically for the muzzleloader tag, start accummulating points and at the same time apply for the 4th season rifle tag.
You could do both as time allows.
Now I don' t have a set of regulations for 2003 and they may have changed in the last two years but that is the way I recall the system.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:45 PM

logs, FYI the PP' s are for species and not for season/weapon. You can apply for a PP without specifying a season or weapon also.

Bobbby, I think noway has the right idea. I would love to be hunting elk every year but I want to get a big one someday. Thats why I now have 7 PP' s.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:07 PM

ATrue, I wasn' t sure, thanks.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the advise. After consulting a friend that has been elk hunting for 30 plus years I think I have finally made a decision. He told me that he also had access to some excellent private property for years and took several nice 6pts and some real giants, but the land got leased and he never got to hunt it after that. He advised me to go with the 4th season deal because of the uncertainty factor. I also just realized that the elk on this property don' t have to deal with any hunting pressure so they won' t be pushed out. Plus there' s thousands of acres bordering his property that is open to the public so I' m now thinking that it would be a perfect refuge for the elk on public land after being hunted out plus the snow factor always helps in the late seasons. So 4th season it is, although there would be no greater thrill than to bugle a big ol herd bull in.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:15 PM

I know what I do. I apply for the tag I really want and apply in other states to up my odds. I may not have control of what state I hunt in a given year but if I play the odds right I get a good tag every year. So I would just apply in more states, just not the units I apply for